Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #1

Cleaning fluid for pentax optics (SMC)

Hi!

I have a bottle of E2 Optic Cleaner by photographic solutions. And I was wondering if any of you forum memebers had more experience how usable this liquid is for example to pentax SMC optics.

also is this useable to filters etc.

answers appreciated

I'm asking because text on the bottle says that it's not recommended for using to clean optics and filters, but the website where I bought the bottle said that its very best for optics and filters. And also a quick search in the internet didn't bring answers.

thanks you in advance!

-Juho

01-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe E2 Optic Cleaner is for sensor cleaning. Specifically, tin oxide coated sensors, either CMOS or CCD. I guess it would do no harm to glass surfaces, but remember that sensors (are supposed to) never get fingerprints or other greasy contaminants, that glass do get every once in a while.

I would recommend using a regular lens cleaner solution, based on destilled water and ammonia. Just remember NEVER APPLY cleaner to glass directly. Always apply cleaner to swab or tissue, AFTER dust particles have been blown or brushes away.
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #3

Hello,

I usually use Zippo fluid (almost 100% pure kerosene) for cleaning my lenses (except my Limiteds, which have been protected by an UV filter since day #1 ...). It is perfect for removing fingerprints and the like, and leaves a very little deposit, easy to remove with a micro-fiber cloth ...

Hope this helps

Best regards
10-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Indianadinos Quote
I usually use Zippo fluid (almost 100% pure kerosene)
Old thread, I know, but I stumbled on this and figured I'd correct the above. Zippo fluid isn't kerosene, it's naphtha -- close, but not quite as dense.

10-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No kerosene or naphtha is going on my lenses.
10-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No kerosene or naphtha is going on my lenses.
Mine either, but I was surprised to find on looking it up that this seems fairly common. Distilled water, or perhaps diluted distilled vinegar, is about as far as I'd go.
10-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Diluted isopropyl alcohol works very well.

10-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #8

I use Costco lens cleaner. $6 gets you 2 full bottles, a marker sized travel bottle, 2 cloths and free refills.
10-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've always used 50 or 70% isopropyl alcohol from the grocery or drug store. It's cheap and works very well. For travel I dumped a spray bottle of perfumed glasses cleaner, rinsed and re-filled it with alcohol.

cheers