Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2007, 01:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
El-cheapo telezoom lens

I would like to know, if it is possible to get great quality shots from a cheap 2nd hand 300mm+ lenses!
As I can't afford those super high quality and super fast tele lenses, I wonder how good could be, for example, Tamron SP mirror lenses. I know, I know mirror lenses are not so good, but reviews at adaptall-2.com here and here look promising.
I bought dslr mostly for photohunting, so I have to feed somehow my poor LBA demon!
What could You suggest? What would You look for at fleabay?

03-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #2
pentaxuser

I would suggest the late 60's to 70's-vintage Tokina-made glass primes, available under the Vivitar or Soligor names (US cost between $30 to $60 on auction), and readily available in M42 mount. T4 or TX versions are available also, but less frequently. The contrast will be better than the mirror lenses (without distracting "donut" bokeh effects), and you will have a full range of aperture control without having to use ND filters.

This is a sample from a Sears (Rikenon) 300mm f5.5 in M42 mount:

Sears 300mm f5.5 Sample

Last edited by pentaxuser; 03-20-2007 at 03:22 AM.
03-20-2007, 04:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I would like to know, if it is possible to get great quality shots from a cheap 2nd hand 300mm+ lenses!
As I can't afford those super high quality and super fast tele lenses, I wonder how good could be, for example, Tamron SP mirror lenses. I know, I know mirror lenses are not so good, but reviews at adaptall-2.com here and here look promising.
I bought dslr mostly for photohunting, so I have to feed somehow my poor LBA demon!
What could You suggest? What would You look for at fleabay?
It depends on what you really want, I have a 1000mm celestron C90, and you can get pendax mounts for any spotting scope, this gets you extreme length but no ability to control depth of field.

another option is to go for something like a vivitar series 1 70-210 mm F3.5 zoom plus a teleconverter.

Note the vivitar lens has a mechanical interference with the body that is discussed elsewhere in this forum, but is easily addressed, or eliminated with a TC.

When I got my first autofocus body (PZ-1 film body) I bought a 1.7x autofocus adaptor and used it with the vivitar series 1 lens. it works great, and gives you an effective 110-350 mm F5.6 lens.

The only drawbacks with the lense are
- lack of a tripod mount, and this combination is very front heavy,
- the front element turns when focused, which is a pain for graduated Neutral density or polorizing filters
- the weight of the zoom collar and front elements is so high that if you are mounted on a tripod and pointing either up or down, the zoom changes as the collar drifts with gravity

There are however a lot of these old lenses around. and at 350mm, they are within the real realm of hand holding.
03-20-2007, 05:05 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Meny thanks for replies.
But I know nothing about converters! As I understand the quality and light resistance is different. which teleconverters are decent?
I have a cheap Albinar 300mm prime lens. It's not bad, but neither good (see pics), lets say- I'm not satisfied. And I'd like to get something longer, coz wild animals wont let me get close as these city crows.
And what about those Tokinas? 30+ years old. Is it possible to find such an old lens with no internal dust coating and still working condition?

Last edited by skaktuss; 08-20-2007 at 10:52 PM.