Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2007, 04:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 16-50 & 50-135 Delayed

I just wanted to inform you that I just spoke with Pentax regarding my request for the 16-50 & 50-135 lenses as I wanted to use them for my next shoot. It seems that they have been delayed till the end of April or the beginning of May.

There has been a massive demand for those specific lenses.

I guess we will have to be patient.

Ben

03-20-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Delayed because of demand or maybe a redesign as suggeted on the Sony forum because of a change in the image circle size?

Regards,
03-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

These were the 2 things ive been waiting all year for. Looks like ill have to load up on 645 lenses before these.
03-20-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Intersting

:
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Delayed because of demand or maybe a redesign as suggeted on the Sony forum because of a change in the image circle size?

Regards,
Wow..I never thought of that...

Perhaps I could be right for the second time in my life...

Ben

03-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Actually, this is a good thing for me. Being 15 (16 in 8 days), hopefully I'll have a job by the time it is available so I can preorder it without mutilating my bank account somewhere around to the tune of 40%.
03-20-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Surely not.
The real reason for the delay is that they do not have their plant ready in Vietnam. It takes about until June for it to start full production.
This has already been admitted by Pentax.
03-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #7

Regards,

Damn. I was going to say that as a joke!

03-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard3550 Quote
Damn. I was going to say that as a joke!
Don't know if it's a joke or not but I think the next several months are going to be very interesting. There are going to be a lot of people disappointed and just as many others that will be thrilled. It's fun either way. I'm looking forward to both the cheering and whining.

Regards,
03-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Regards,
To increase the image circle wouldn't be that easy and to be honest, they would more likely bin the project and start from scratch then, have a major re-design, 3 months before the things are supposed to be in store.
03-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Actually, this is a good thing for me. Being 15 (16 in 8 days), hopefully I'll have a job by the time it is available so I can preorder it without mutilating my bank account somewhere around to the tune of 40%.
SupremeMoFo - I gotta hand it to ya - living at home with the parents has its advantages. Make the most of it while you got it, but that includes your education too! You don't want to be stuck in a career where you are second guessing yourself.

Regken - I think you're on to something, but I was also thinking that they may have seen problems from the test shots of the Tokina twins that RiceHigh posted a little while back that caused an uproar here and wanted to tweak theirs before they release
03-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm personally waiting for the 16-50mm (to save my FA* 28-70mm from going on trips and getting damaged ), which I heard in the PMA interview will be delayed until June. Are they now saying April or May will be a more likely release date?

Thread moved to SLR lens discussion.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Invest in full frame lenses while you can!
03-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #13

I thought they weren't supposed to be out until May. Where they supposed to be out in early April originally?

I guess that explains the weird apology email from Adorama. They didn't cancel orders did they?

-Ed
03-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Absolutely impossible. A huge change like that would mean a total redesign of optics and barrels. You would be looking at a year's delay, rather than a couple of months. And the final specs of the lenses are already out, so the speculation is simply not possible.

This is a pure production delay, nothing more.
03-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
These were the 2 things ive been waiting all year for. Looks like ill have to load up on 645 lenses before these.
The prices of 645 lenses had been all hiked up a lot!!

Speaking of these two Da* zooms, they are going to sell like chips in the supermarket stores - gone pretty quick