Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Raylonn

All Right...I did it....Ricoh Pin Lens is STUCK!

Yep I got it stuck. Bought a lens off ebay, put it on, never even knew about the ricoh pin business. It's stuck. Haven't really done anything to it except try and use a tape measure to try and leverage it off. So, what now? I am kind of lost. Less than two week old K200D and I may have to send it off to Pentax and pay nearly the price of the camera itself to try and get the lens off. But before I do that, does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?

01-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #2

One tried and true method mentioned here previously is:

Force it.

Just hold down the detache button and twist it hard off there.
Good luck.
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turning AF on and off as you attempt to turn it will sometimes help knock it out. That has always worked for me.
01-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Feeler gauge.

01-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feeler gauge or send to Eric for probably a $40 - $75 job including shipping.
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Raylonn

QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
One tried and true method mentioned here previously is:

Force it.

Just hold down the detache button and twist it hard off there.
Good luck.
bentax, it worked! Was just playin with it and was like...alright, here we go. And it popped off, no trouble. Then I realized it's MUCH safer to do that with the AF on Manual, so it does not become another object to catch and get in the way. The tape measure left a ton of debris inside the camera, and I had dust all over the sensor. Good thing along with the lens I got a rocket blower in the mail. Now the next thing to get to.

There seems to be two pins to take off. One I already got out that was on some sort of small spring, on the lens mount itself. Another pin, seen to the right of the mount, was attached to the mount, and it was the one that seemed to receive most of the damage during the removal. Can I just leave that entire black assembly off the lens? I doubt it is used for any purpose.

Last edited by Raylonn; 03-12-2009 at 07:36 PM.
01-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Save it to preserve the lens's resale value! No, I don't believe it does anything useful on your camera.

Some third-party lenses like Sigmas and Vivitars with "A" positions on the aperture rings have a more complex mechanism that I don't like to disturb. The Ricoh pin transmits aperture info to the camera body, similar to how a Pentax-A lens works. These lenses are compatible with both systems, so I like to keep the Pentax part working. I only remove the pin itself. In fact, these lenses seem to have pins that are designed better and don't get stuck.

Edit: here's one of those lenses with both pins:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/46820-vivitar-2...e-filters.html

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 01-13-2009 at 10:18 PM.
01-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That slider pin thinger is for transmitting the aperture value to the camera ie old cameras like the manual MX and K1000.

So...no, you don't "need" it on digital...
01-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
That slider pin thinger is for transmitting the aperture value to the camera ie old cameras like the manual MX and K1000.

So...no, you don't "need" it on digital...
Unless, of course, you want to use it on a k-mount film camera.

Steve
01-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
Forum Member

Can you tell me, Raylonn, the lens? Not all RK mounts have a problem & I thought I'd try & come up with a list of RK's that were OK with the Pentax mount.

Consider:-

I have an XR-M; fantastic camera; & now use a K10D & I have had no trouble with my RK mount lenses. Like you, I was blissfully unaware of any sticking problem but I was obviously lucky. I also have a Tamron 2x Tele that has migrated to the K10D with no problem.

I'm glad you sorted it out.

The picture shows 2 x Tokina 70 - 210. The one on the right was my original which I used on my XR-M & the one on the left is one that arrived yesterday. Both are identical, as you can see. Some manufactureres then may have made identical lenses that would suit either or added ther Ricoh pin later in manufacture.

Anyway, I'm a bit interested to find out exactly what happened & with what manufacturer.

(Oh! The reason for getting the "new" one is because the original (bought new) developed a clouded front lens.)

Last edited by jibbonpoint; 01-14-2009 at 01:41 AM. Reason: More information
01-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
Raylonn

Sure thing! This particular model is Sears 70-210 1:4.0 with Multicoating. Model #202.7377600. Made in Korea. It is a KR with Macro. Next to the 32 on the aperture ring it has an (A)P. Not sure what that means. 55mm filter thread.

I just put the lens on and it got stuck. One thing I did notice was that the lens rotated approximately 30 degrees or so when it was stuck on the camera. But when i removed the pin and put it back on and the slop was gone.
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Inactive Account

You said there were two pins.
Is one of them like the one to the lower left in the photos above?
That one is needed for the "A" function to work.

Hope it's ok to mod a photo for this purpose. I marked the pin needed for "A" function.

Last edited by wildlifephotog; 05-06-2012 at 06:10 AM.
01-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Raylonn

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
You said there were two pins.
Is one of them like the one to the lower left in the photos above?
That one is needed for the "A" function to work.
Well the lens is not an auto aperture, it was just a little gold pin that wasn't connected to anything. I don't mind using it as manual anyways. At least I don't believe it's an auto.
01-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Inactive Account

OOPS I took too long. Yes it is a auto lens. That is what the A-P meant. The little gold pin that had all the damage was the only one needed to be removed.
I buy cheap KR lenses and remove the pin with a dremel all the time.
01-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Just as an example. This is a 135mm KR lens. You can see the the offending pin has been removed.
1- removed
2-auto pin
3- sometimes a round plastic dot here.

Last edited by wildlifephotog; 05-06-2012 at 06:10 AM.