Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #1

Minolta SR Mount to Pentax K - Dr TeleFrankenstein

I just got home from a craigslist purchase of a cheap, beautiful, Konine built, Vivitar 200mm f3.5 MF lens in pristine like new condition. The previous owner said he used it on his older MF pentax. I have converted Ricoh k mount lenses and I had no problem thinking that I could easily convert this stranger looking mount to work...

Unfortunately, it doesnt fit, Minolta M S/R mount too small. No adapters could be found off an internet/ebay scour....Stupid me!

I had a thought on making this work but needed some advice...

The concept of buying two sets of either third party extension tubes, or third party TCs, one for k mount, one for minolta SR mount, tearing them apart, and rebuilding them with female SR mount, and Male K mount. Brilliant!!!

I primarily bought this lens for telephoto shooting, not macro-photography. What would the best option be? TC or Tube? Will this even work? I have read articles regarding the focusing distance, and focusing to infinity, etc.

Please help me? Should I just give up, r-ebay it, and look for the k mount?

01-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen this lens in screw mount go for the $9.95 opening bid many times; that's how I ended up with one. So you have to consider that before putting a lot of time into mount engineering. It's a decent lens, I think better than an M200/4.

However, I sometimes wonder if Vivitar had some clever technique to build these lenses in different mounts. Maybe just a few screws, adding or removing a spacer, a flanged M42 to K-mount adapter for your mount and you're done. There are lenses out there that would be worth the trouble.
01-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nufenstein Quote
I...
I primarily bought this lens for telephoto shooting, not macro-photography. What would the best option be? TC or Tube? Will this even work? I have read articles regarding the focusing distance, and focusing to infinity, etc.

Please help me? Should I just give up, r-ebay it, and look for the k mount?
This lens' base wants to be 43.5mm from the sensor. The camera's K-mount offers 45.46mm. Therefore the lens must be shortened by about 2mm.

Maybe the flange currently on the lens is thicker than 3mm. If so, it may be practical to remove the lens' flange & replace the flange with a Pentax K (flange type) m42 adapter. Drill holes in the K adapter as appropriate to re-use the screw holes in the lens.

This is only worthwhile doing if the overall length of the lens can be shortened by 2mm. Such third party lenses are often made short and finished with thick end plates so a number of camera types could be accommodated simply by using a different end plate.
01-14-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree with newarts on this. it may be simpler to replace the mount with a K mount.

I have not looked at the allignment of apature control levers, so you may only be in stopped down mode.

the same would apply if you modified a TC ny putting a minolta body mount on a pentax TC, you would have to move the mount in the TC back, which would be difficult since these were specifically made for the pentax lens spacings

01-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help and advice so far. I have no idea how to go about replacing the mount on the Minolta; the lens mount just seems to be built so securely on to the lens, unlike the old Ricoh mounts, where a few screws releases the mount from the body. Perhaps I can upload some pictures tonight of the mount and get some advice on where to go.

My 3rd party extension tube thoughts were around these brands which appear identical besides the mounts:

Macro Extension Tube Ring for Pentax K Mount K200D K20D - eBay (item 370132080258 end time Jan-16-09 04:36:44 PST)

Macro Extension Tube Ring for Minolta MD MC mount SLR - eBay (item 350132557724 end time Jan-27-09 06:01:29 PST)

I doubt a question to the seller would be answered to thoroughly either :/

Also, what effect would the tubes have on telephotography??
01-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #6

Original Poster
Another option, for the TC, would be this, which is on ebay

Tamron F-System 2X Tele-Converter for Minolta MD NEW * - eBay (item 390012661492 end time Jan-27-09 11:37:17 PST)

I currently own a Tamrom F MD7, which appears to be similar to this. Simply swapping male mounts? Think it might work?
01-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Inactive Account

The lens will not focus all the way to infinity unless the total length of the lens + whatever optically corrected teleconverters put on it are shortened by about 2mm.

But there is a chance that your lens has a T4/TX adapter on it, in which case, just that adapter would need to be changed.

see http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/t4_for_two.htm

Last edited by newarts; 01-14-2009 at 10:30 AM.
01-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
any way to tell if it has the TX/T mount?

It says M S/R on the barrel near the mount...

01-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nufenstein Quote
any way to tell if it has the TX/T mount?

It says M S/R on the barrel near the mount...

Compare it to the lenses shown in the link I posted or post a couple photos so we can look closely.
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Here's a Tx type adapter (left) taken from a lens (right) there appears to be a tab on the lens (3 O'clock on the photo) that matches a tab on the adapter (12 O'clock).

Does your lens have anything similar?
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
Here they are....thinking about pillaging the 70-210 QT II for its mount....if needed

01-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I'm sorry, I just can't see how it is assembled well enough. I expect loosening the little screws on the lens barrel like the one near the red dot will allow the rear to be lifted off. Maybe it is necessary to remove the screws on the end of the bayonet. I dunno.

I can make no promises & if you try to disassemble the lens I hope things go well.

It does not appear that the lens is a Tx type.

It isn't obvious how you can shorten the lens' end by 2mm.

Thanks for posting the photos. I wish I had more positive things to say about the probability of success.
01-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
Im going to keep the lens for now (only 15 bucks!) and have some fun with it. I will buy a minolta 1.4 or 1.7 TC and custom drill a k mount onto the TC. Worst comes to worst i will have trashed a crappy QT II Lens worth about $5....