Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Which set of Limited?

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since my last post. I have setled with a Fuji S5 for my portraits and candids and I´m very happy.
Nevertheless I miss pentax and I need a light street combo. Unfortunetly small cameras that work with primes is not surely for Nikon. You have yo get at least a D80 to use the Nikon AF. And still those are no Limited or pancakes... good primes they have but much heavier!
So my option for a camera is obvously the K-m. I could get the K200D for the same price but then in terms of camera it would weight as much as a D80.
But let´s cut to the chase:
Within my budget and after getting the K-m, I could get the following combo lens:

1 - DA 40 f/2.8 Limited (and this would be the lightest combo in the world) and the FA 77 f/1.8 (again my candid / portraits vain talking louder)

2 - DA 35 f/2.8 (good IQ for street plus Makro bonus) and the DA 70 f/2.4 (still great for candids and portraits outside but better than the 77 in terms of landscape and so on - at least to my understanding)

Every set has its advantages. So, as I´m not able to decide - I change my mind every 5 minutes) can you, real users, give some opinion on those lens performance in terms of IQ? Which would be better? especially between the Makro and the Da 40, since I already know the longer lens and understand their IQ diference and purposes.
Thank you

01-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by coloseu Quote
DA 70 f/2.4 (still great for candids and portraits outside but better than the 77 in terms of landscape and so on - at least to my understanding)
I've only had my 77Ltd for a short time and the weather has mostly been very bad but I have had a chance to shoot a few landscapes with it and I find it an awesome lens in this capacity. I've never shot the DA 70Ltd to compare, though. But if I had to do it over again after seeing my landscape pics with the 77Ltd.....I'd buy the 77Ltd again:-).
I just got my 43Ltd last night and haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet but it's a very impressive lens in it's own right from what I've seen so far, just a thought.
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #3

Small and Light

QuoteOriginally posted by coloseu Quote
Hello everyone,

It has been a while since my last post. I have setled with a Fuji S5 for my portraits and candids and I´m very happy.
Nevertheless I miss pentax and I need a light street combo. Unfortunetly small cameras that work with primes is not surely for Nikon. You have yo get at least a D80 to use the Nikon AF. And still those are no Limited or pancakes... good primes they have but much heavier!
So my option for a camera is obvously the K-m. I could get the K200D for the same price but then in terms of camera it would weight as much as a D80.
But let´s cut to the chase:
Within my budget and after getting the K-m, I could get the following combo lens:

1 - DA 40 f/2.8 Limited (and this would be the lightest combo in the world) and the FA 77 f/1.8 (again my candid / portraits vain talking louder)

2 - DA 35 f/2.8 (good IQ for street plus Makro bonus) and the DA 70 f/2.4 (still great for candids and portraits outside but better than the 77 in terms of landscape and so on - at least to my understanding)

Every set has its advantages. So, as I´m not able to decide - I change my mind every 5 minutes) can you, real users, give some opinion on those lens performance in terms of IQ? Which would be better? especially between the Makro and the Da 40, since I already know the longer lens and understand their IQ diference and purposes.
Thank you
Your main reason for looking at the K-m is small and light. Why not go with the DA40 and the DA70? That is the smallest, lightest combo. Add the DA21 and you have the full pancake trio. Doesn't get smaller and lighter than that! Plus, the DA40, DA70 combo is cheaper than the 2 that you have listed.
By all accounts, other than the small difference in speed, the DA70 and FA77 are very close preforrmance wise.
01-15-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well, I guess you are absolutely right.
I guess I believed the 40 was closer to the 70 and besides that the 35 would also give me Makro capabilities. But indeed, a K-m with a 40 f/2.8 is a killer combo. This I could take anywhere without any worries.
I must admit the FA Limited atract me a lot, but considering the price, in practical terms I should be better with the DA for less money and almost same IQ