Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Super Tak Adaper

I recently found and dusted off my Super Tak M42 55mm 1.8. I have a T-mount adapter fpr my 500mm 8.0. I tried to mount the duo on my K10D and found that the lens will not screw all the way in the adapter and as a result the lens will not focus properly. I have searceed on EBAY and found thinner adapters ranging in price from $8 to $44. What is the best bang for my buck?

01-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
I recently found and dusted off my Super Tak M42 55mm 1.8. I have a T-mount adapter for my 500mm 8.0.
Just to be absolutely sure about this, you do have two adapters, don't you? M42 and T-mount have different pitches and so if you try to use one with an adapter for the other you are likely to mess up the thread (hopefully, not the thread of the Super Tak).

QuoteQuote:
I tried to mount the duo on my K10D and found that the lens will not screw all the way in the adapter and as a result the lens will not focus properly.
Ugh, that sounds like you are screwing the lens into the wrong type of mount. I hope you stopped before you did any damage to the lens thread.

QuoteQuote:
I have searceed on EBAY and found thinner adapters ranging in price from $8 to $44. What is the best bang for my buck?
Again, I am not sure what you mean by "thinner adapters". The best adapter is the genuine Pentax adapter (use it only with M42 lenses). I have found that the Kood adapter is a good copy, but it is important with the Kood (not the Pentax) that you remove the spring and screw that holds the spring. If you remove the spring then there is a danger that you can unscrew the lens as you focus, so this is not the best option, hence why the Pentax adapter is the best choice. In the UK the genuine Pentax adapter sells for about 25 used, which is the top of the range you quote in dollars. The Kood adapter is more like 10. (I think I paid 12 new.)

Whatever you do, do not buy an adapter that has a flange that sticks out. The entire adapter must sit within the camera's K-mount and the face of the adapter must be flush with the front face of the K-mount on the camera. If you get an adapter with a flange then you'll not be able to focus at infinity.

Make sure that you do not get the T-mount and M42 mount adapters mixed up. It may be a good idea to keep the T-mount adapter permanently on the 500mm (even superglue it there) so that you never again have a chance of getting it on your Takumar.

Richard
01-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The best bang for your buck should be your only intelligent choice, a genuine Pentax m42 to K adaptor. Dont settle for the cheap ones, they often suck and can cause headache or even damage to yuor camera. There are many threads here to back up my advice.

Jason
01-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that was going to be the response. I recently aquired a treasure chest full of lenses and the 500mm F8 was the one with the T-mount. No, I did not screw the lens all the way in as I knew that would not be good. The fact that the lens stuck out and would not focus told me that I had the improper adapter.

01-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

yea, T-mount != M42... even though they're both 42mm in diameter, the pitch on the T-mount is .75mm..... M42's pitch is 1mm...
01-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are absoloutly right! The rest of my lenses in my treasure chest are all K-mount. No adapter needed and they are all old manual focus. They rannge from 28 to 500mm with the best one being a 75-200 F/4.5 KA made by Five Star. It gives me the ability to utilize the AE functions of the camera without using the green button which has a tendency to under expose most of my manual focus lenses metered wide open. The beuty of Pentax D-SLRs! Works with all lenses to some degree new, old, and very old!