Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"A" setting in camera and aperture rings

Just curious as to what everybody does with lenses that have the aperture ring. Do you use the camera and make adjustments or do you activate the aperture ring setting in the camera and use the ring on the lens instead? Is one better than the next? Any pro's or cons for doing either?

03-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hmmmm, If I don't have the aperture setting on 'A', I:
-Can't use Av/Tv/other modes (have to use manual)
-Can't use Matrix metering
-Can't use P-TTL flash
-Aperture value not stored in EXIF info

About the ONLY advantage I could think of is if you have the D or DS, an external flash (such as the Sigma EF-500), setting an aperture on the lens allows you to use the flash in TTL mode instead of P-TTL.

Oh, to answer the first question, I always leave it on 'A'
03-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm still a rookie when it comes to going full Manual. Especially when it comes to tricky lighting situations. So whenever I'm in doubt, I flip the aperture into A and use the camera in P mode. I take a couple shots, look at the exif on the camera, then flip it to the aperture I want and go from there in M mode on the camera.
03-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
hmmmm, If I don't have the aperture setting on 'A', I:
-Can't use Av/Tv/other modes (have to use manual)
-Can't use Matrix metering
-Can't use P-TTL flash
-Aperture value not stored in EXIF info

About the ONLY advantage I could think of is if you have the D or DS, an external flash (such as the Sigma EF-500), setting an aperture on the lens allows you to use the flash in TTL mode instead of P-TTL.

Oh, to answer the first question, I always leave it on 'A'
You can use your lens wide open in Av mode. The camera will adjust the shutter.

IIRC, in Av mode, you can also stop down your lens to your desired aperture, push the AE-L button, and the camera will stop down, and adjust the shutter for the right exposure, then you are ready to shoot.

03-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

But why not just keep the lens on 'A', and set the desired aperture from the body? Not sure why you need to bother messing with the aperture ring, unless you have a COMPELLING reason to do so (forcing TTL flash on a D or DS)

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I'm still a rookie when it comes to going full Manual. Especially when it comes to tricky lighting situations. So whenever I'm in doubt, I flip the aperture into A and use the camera in P mode. I take a couple shots, look at the exif on the camera, then flip it to the aperture I want and go from there in M mode on the camera.
03-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep, if you want to stay WIDE-OPEN, you can use Av mode and set the aperture on the maximum aperture. But I believe that in Av mode, when you go to take the picture, the lens will actually remain wide open (ie will not stop-down to the selected aperture). I'll have to double check this tonight on my DS.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
You can use your lens wide open in Av mode. The camera will adjust the shutter.

IIRC, in Av mode, you can also stop down your lens to your desired aperture, push the AE-L button, and the camera will stop down, and adjust the shutter for the right exposure, then you are ready to shoot.
03-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The beauty of a lens with an "A" setting is that you can use it in Av, Tv, or P mode. Otherwise you have to use stopped-down metering with the AE-L button, which is easy once you get the hang of it, but why do it if you don't have to? For my A lenses I always adjust the aperture with the camera body and keep it set to Av. Besides, that way the aperture you are using shows up a) in the viewfinder and b) in the EXIF data.
03-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

But why not just keep the lens on 'A', and set the desired aperture from the body? Not sure why you need to bother messing with the aperture ring, unless you have a COMPELLING reason to do so (forcing TTL flash on a D or DS)
I have some SMC M and old K glass, so using the aperture ring gives me some practice Just me, I guess.

03-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It really is a pleasure to use the aperture ring on non-crippled Pentax bodies. Using on-camera aperture adjutment works just fine, but it's definitely not as good or as easy as being able to adjust the aperture via the ring, like on the PZ-1.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #10

Well, all I can say is that I never had an autoexposure camera until the late 1990's, and I wasn't all that impressed.

I used my MX cameras until I went digital with the D, and now the K10D. But it mostly gets used in a studio with strobe, so the camera's meter doesn't get that much use.

I did test an old M lens with the K10D, shooting RAW, and found it usable but not perfect. I think I'll just keep the Sekonic around for now!
03-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yep, I was correct. On my DS with Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. ISO3200, Av mode with aperture ring on 'A', f/2.8 set via the body gave me 1/100. Changed the aperture ring to 2.8 on the lens. Meter still gave me 1/100. Moved the ring to smaller apertures, I still got 1/100s on all apertures. Pressing the AE-L button did NOT stop down the lens (like it would in M-mode) to take a new meter reading. All shots were "properly" exposed using f/2.8 (ie the lens did not stop down to the selected aperture during exposure) regardless of where the aperture ring was.

So unless you want to shoot wide open, Av mode is useless when using the aperture ring. You want to use M-mode.

Yep, if you want to stay WIDE-OPEN, you can use Av mode and set the aperture on the maximum aperture. But I believe that in Av mode, when you go to take the picture, the lens will actually remain wide open (ie will not stop-down to the selected aperture). I'll have to double check this tonight on my DS.
03-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #12

Yesterday I tested my Tefnon (never heard of that before) lens with A setting.
When i set aperture ring to A, Av sets exposure to 0.3"@F4, but when i turned the ring to 4 and pressed AE-L in manual mode, I could shoot at 1/4s. How to explain that?
03-21-2007, 12:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
Yesterday I tested my Tefnon (never heard of that before) lens with A setting.
When i set aperture ring to A, Av sets exposure to 0.3"@F4, but when i turned the ring to 4 and pressed AE-L in manual mode, I could shoot at 1/4s. How to explain that?
0.3 seconds and 0.25 (1/4) seconds aren't so far apart.
03-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies. All good information!