Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
RaduA

Now, on topic it is very likely that Pentax discontinued DA18-250 based on their "scrap and build" strategy. It make no sense to put money in Sony's pocket thru Tamron and neither to help Sigma that pays zero licenseing fees. It also doesn't make sense to have cheap weather sealed cameras and no "cheaper than DA*" zooms or primes for customers to make a reasonable priced combo.

So, my bet is that Pentax will come up with a modern super zoom design of its own to compete directly with C and N 18-200 lenses.

I would say something like 18-200 range, weather sealing and SDM, more than decent optical performance and 500-600 Euro MSRP at launch. I hope availability for Q2 / early Q3. This is all my gut feeling as it seems to me to be the right thing to do. It may happen, it may not!

Regards,
Radu

01-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Ogl is a nice and harmless chap but information he doesn't have. Talking about his "prediction" for Photokina in response to you saying he "predicted" K-m:

Regards,
Radu
Ok, these seem to be some seriously failed guesses

I admit, it's most likely that you're right

Maybe I should start guessing, too? Have you heard about the 9-400 f2.8 zoom that's going to be announced tommorow? Or the DFA* 1200mm f/4 coming in march???

Thanks for clarifying
01-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
Ok, these seem to be some seriously failed guesses

I admit, it's most likely that you're right

Maybe I should start guessing, too? Have you heard about the 9-400 f2.8 zoom that's going to be announced tommorow? Or the DFA* 1200mm f/4 coming in march???

Thanks for clarifying
No problem, Noisychip and you're right at this moment guessing is all we have. I hope Hoya has a good hand and know how to play this game. If I was in charge I would of done:

- only one APS-C camera closer to D90 than 450D, D60 and K200D in performance with 2 w.s lenses at launch, with all the features that the TARGET AUDIENCE may want to see (read LiIon battery, big LCD, usable LV, movie mode, small and round and a bit lighter than K200D). Plus of course weather sealing and even a better SR mechanism as traditional Pentax strong points;
- one hi res over APS-C / smaller than FF sensored camera with certifiable better IQ than any APS-C camera yet smaller, lighter and significantly cheaper than any new FF one.

With K-m becoming dirt cheap in a few months + a mid range fully featured based on public demand + an alternative to competition's FF for way less money I think Hoya would get most rewards possible from its initial investment.

And I would announce those 2 cameras (plus 645D if it's comming back) on 3 separate days to build anticipation and awareness for Pentax starting fron end of January to not interfer with other pre-PMA announcements.
And first camera on the market would be the K300D IMO it's the most needed now or as soon as possible.

Regards,
Radu
01-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
man...this is not good news I am still looking to get a 18-250 as a travel lens.

01-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Tamron still has the 18-250, sigma seems to be coming out with one as well. Also Tamron has recently released a new 18-270 in N and C mounts.
01-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #21
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
man...this is not good news I am still looking to get a 18-250 as a travel lens.
Raider,

This lens was mass produced and it will still be available from dealers stock a while without problems. If Pentax was to officialy announce it discontinued a lot of people won't buy it waiting for a replacement. Also dealers would need to discount it and everybody lose. So they keep hush and will clear the stock as usual. Buy one if you want one, I am not qualified to give advice about this lens as I hate super zooms in general.

Regards,
Radu
01-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #22
Forum Member

This lens was mass produced and it will still be available from dealers stock a while without problems. If Pentax was to officialy announce it discontinued a lot of people won't buy it waiting for a replacement. Also dealers would need to discount it and everybody lose. So they keep hush and will clear the stock as usual.

Radu

WORD.
Radu makes a good point. I'm pretty sure the 18-250mm is my next piece of glass.
It's up in the air though.
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian

No one spread a rumour that the Tamron 18-250 will be discontinued. You could still get the same lens with another label. Or, the Tamron 18-270.

Raider,
This lens was mass produced and it will still be available from dealers stock a while without problems.
Now you seem to indicate it will be discontinued as well? Previously you suggested the OP had no basis upon which to place this rumour on.

Anyhow, I personally wouldn't base my decisions on rumours. What if someone held their breath for the Pentax DA* 60-250? What if the Pentax/Tamron will be available three years from now? What good did the rumours about a new Pentax camera to the K-m? It was mainly a disappointment for many, although it will probably regarded as a good and important step by Pentax in the future.

Stuff the rumours.

01-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
Site Supporter

But is it really "news"? The lens remains in Pentax's catalog, and there's no substantive evidence it has been discontinued in this thread. Perhaps it will be replaced by a more capable zoom of the same general range - not unreasonable and certainly desirable - but there's no data here that supports that assertion.

Don't forget that just a few weeks ago, it seemed like half the forum was firmly convinced that Pentax would anounce a ground-breaking new camera (for immediate sale) with no market preparation and 9 days before Christmas.

Let's see what happens.

Jer
01-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #25
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No one spread a rumour that the Tamron 18-250 will be discontinued. You could still get the same lens with another label. Or, the Tamron 18-270.

Now you seem to indicate it will be discontinued as well? Previously you suggested the OP had no basis upon which to place this rumour on.

1) This rumour is over one month old, see here: Is Pentax DA 18-250 discontinued ?. It was just vented here on a more populated forum but this won't make it a "premiere".
2)I only said that Ogl's track record doesn't entitle him IMHO the outmost guarantee that his claims are valid. Some may be, some may not and each one must decide for his own what to believe.
3) If I were Pentax I'd be humiliated to license/buy a general zoom from Tamron (or for that matter any other lens design from a company other than Leica, Zeiss or Voigtlaender). Maybe I am extreme but what the old Pentax did in this respect is not worthy of its history and again IMHO was prompted by lack of resources, poor strategy and a certain dispair. I don't think that Hoya would tolerate this any longer. They had limited resources and missmanaged those in many projects that seems to never finish or were plagued by problems. Pentax need its own design and a better one than the rest plus weather seals and SDM for a super zoom IMO.
4) I really don't mean to offend people who like the Tamron or any other super zooms I am really not into this type of lenses.
5) According to the official "scrap and build" policy I think a lot of lenses will either be discontinued or modified. Other new ones will come and I don't know any details about this it's just my guess.

Stuff the rumours.

I agree!
Radu
01-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Funny...rumour this lens will be discontinued (or already is, albeit in phantom mode) and some people get nervous about the supply...I had mine for sale for 4 weeks in the forum recently and no takers, only tire kicking. I decided to keep it and am glad I did since it serves its purpose quite well as a travel lens.

The Sigma version coming out...I am predicting a street price of $50-100 more than the Tamron/Pentax thanks to the useless for Pentax users, OS functionality.

Jason
01-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Hi Radu,

thanks for the clarification. I realized that your first posting addressed K-m rumours, not this thread.

Could you perhaps insert an apparently missing "[ \QUOTE ]" into your message so that it doesn't look as if you were quoting text I wrote?

Pentax need its own design and a better one than the rest plus weather seals and SDM for a super zoom IMO.
Fine, but suddenly a number of people cannot afford it anymore. There is a place for expensive equipment and there is one for affordable. I don't see why Pentax should leave all the profit regarding the affordable equipment to third party manufacturers.
01-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Is Pentax DA 18-250 discontinued ?
01-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by dougiewill Quote
I don't see any evidence in that link, either, just more assertions from anonymous forum posters. Did I miss something?
01-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I got this email in from Pentax UK this morning:-

-----Original Message----- From: Perera, Sanduni__UK Sent: 28 January 2009 14:18 To: Foster, Irene__UK Subject: RE: PENTAX Internet Contact, 2009-01-13 11:08:17 Dear Mr.Will Thank you for your email. Please accept our sincere apologies for not replying to you promptly. The SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] lens is now out of production and is no longer available in the UK market. How ever please try Park Cameras as they might still be having some stock of this should you wish to purchase one. Best Regards Sanduni Perera Customer Service Sales Administrator Imaging Systems Main: 01753 792792 Fax: 01753 792794 home - PENTAX U.K. Limited PENTAX UK Limited, Heron Drive, Langley, Slough SL3 8PN Our Mission: To bring high quality optical technology and service to people and organisations; making lives more enjoyable, visually richer, healthier and safer. This email has been sent to you from Pentax U.K. Limited, a subsidiary of the Hoya Group. Company Registration No. 1436524. VAT No. 225 3252 92. Registered in England at Boyes Turner, Abbots House, Abbey Street, Reading, RG1 3BD. Email: -----Original Message----- From: Douglas Will

If anyone is interested, Park Cameras in the UK do still have some stock.