Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anybody bought DA* 16-50 from Prodigital?

I'm going to purchase this DA* 16-50 and saw that Prodigital on ebay has the best price.
Has anybody bought this lens from them? Do you get good copy?

I'm concern with the return policy since everybody know how difficult it is to get a good copy of this lens.
Has anybody returned the lens to them and how easy is the process?
Do you finally get a good copy?

Thanks,

01-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes I got one good copy from them, the SN# was also in the late numbers (see the DA* 16-50 thread)
01-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The main issues with Prodigital, based on forum posts, are:
  • Time to delivery
  • U.S. vs. international warranty
  • "No Return" policy. You bought it, you keep it
  • 7-day exchange policy on defective goods

My understanding is that they may dawdle for a week or more before they ship. In regards to the warranty, they generally offer Canadian or international warranty. In rare cases the item has the U.S. warranty. They may also tack on a third-party extended warranty as part of the deal

Beyond those things there is no arguing in regards to pricing. They are the lowest...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-15-2009 at 02:22 PM.
01-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I debated on this one as well. I've bought from them three times. Twice they got it to me within a week. I'm waiting on a third right now, and it's been over two weeks. Price wise they're great, but with the QC issues on this one, I went with Amazon for thirty bucks more.

01-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In regards to the warranty, they generally offer Canadian or international warranty. In rare cases the item has the U.S. warranty. They may also tack on a third-party extended warranty as part of the deal
pentax has an international 1 year warranty on all products.
pentax canada offers 2 year warranty on its products.

all my lenses are from them, they can be slow with delivery, even tho i live "only" 3 hours away
01-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've just tried buying a lens from them.

Having bought several dozen electronic and camera items from the US before with nothing to complain about, my experience with these guys was not so great.

After I placed an order about a day later I received an invoice. So far so good. Then a day later they request a proof of address. OK supplied immediately as a photo of a recent bill. Then I don't hear from them for 3 days. I email and ask if everything is OK and if not I can cancel my order. The next day (a week after filling in my credit card details on their site) I see my bank statement and realise they've only billed me now. Australian dollar has crashed and I am paying $US25 more for the lens.

They tell me that if I want a refund they will charge me 5%. OK refund I say, tired of the whole rigmarole and of the way they've proceeded. Ok we will they say. Four days later there is no money is my account.

You may well be luckier and not have the same kind of experience. But I'd rather pay a little more and not waste my time with this kind of communication.
01-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have offered before but no one takes me up on it. A nominal fee for aussies as i am from Sydney but in Canada, I could test the gear and send images to the buyer before sending the item.

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
I've just tried buying a lens from them.

Having bought several dozen electronic and camera items from the US before with nothing to complain about, my experience with these guys was not so great.

After I placed an order about a day later I received an invoice. So far so good. Then a day later they request a proof of address. OK supplied immediately as a photo of a recent bill. Then I don't hear from them for 3 days. I email and ask if everything is OK and if not I can cancel my order. The next day (a week after filling in my credit card details on their site) I see my bank statement and realise they've only billed me now. Australian dollar has crashed and I am paying $US25 more for the lens.

They tell me that if I want a refund they will charge me 5%. OK refund I say, tired of the whole rigmarole and of the way they've proceeded. Ok we will they say. Four days later there is no money is my account.

You may well be luckier and not have the same kind of experience. But I'd rather pay a little more and not waste my time with this kind of communication.
01-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
pentax has an international 1 year warranty on all products.
pentax canada offers 2 year warranty on its products.

all my lenses are from them, they can be slow with delivery, even tho i live "only" 3 hours away
Good point regarding U.S. vs. international warranty. In general they are equivalent unless Pentax U.S. is running a warranty promotion as they sometimes do.

Traditionally, an international warranty is indication of a gray market product, though this might not be the case for Pentax products. (My K10D, bought from B&H, had no warranty card, international or otherwise.)

Steve

01-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinion, guys.

The price from Prodigital is very good but Amazon is safer for this lens.

...decision..decision.
01-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

With the reputation of this lens for its QC (or lack thereof) and couple that with a "no return policy" from Prodigital, I wouldn't do it, no matter the attractive price.

Jason
01-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Problems with Prodigital....

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
I'm going to purchase this DA* 16-50 and saw that Prodigital on ebay has the best price.
Has anybody bought this lens from them? Do you get good copy?

I'm concern with the return policy since everybody know how difficult it is to get a good copy of this lens.
Has anybody returned the lens to them and how easy is the process?
Do you finally get a good copy?

Thanks,
I can share my experience: on a 77mm they took the money, didn't have it in stock, didn't state on their site (unlike other online merchants that it would have to be ordered, or was back ordered, or out of stock temporaily) that they didn't have the item, but still went ahead and processed the charge. And just as bad, they didn't respond to several phone calls or emails about when it would be in stock and when it would ship. The only way I got a response from them was to file a grievance with PayPal and that was for a refund. Lots of people like them for their low prices, but from my experiencemand many others (do a Google search some time), you'll find a lot of problems with shipping and service after sale.
Brian
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Forum Member

prodigital2000

If you mean prodigital2000, I don't recommend them. Sure the price was cheaper, but the sipping cost is higher, (and I am not sure if you need to send to Canada for repair if needed.)

I got a DA 35mm macro lens from them. My lens (new in box) was bubble wrapped, but was sent in a soft, unpadded plastic envelope. (yeah the kind you would use to ship t-shirts etc.)

I mean, who would send damageable photographic equipment in a soft plastic envelope?!!

The lens box was completely torn on one side, but thankfully the lens is okay.

I sent a complaint but has not heard back from them.

Better to buy from trustable source that has good service.
01-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by annod Quote
If you mean prodigital2000, I don't recommend them. Sure the price was cheaper, but the sipping cost is higher, (and I am not sure if you need to send to Canada for repair if needed.)

I got a DA 35mm macro lens from them. My lens (new in box) was bubble wrapped, but was sent in a soft, unpadded plastic envelope. (yeah the kind you would use to ship t-shirts etc.)

I mean, who would send damageable photographic equipment in a soft plastic envelope?!!

Yes, it's Prodigital2000.
Hmm...you maybe right.
Actually, I'm noticing that something is going on with this seller.
Some of the camera K20D that I've been watching on ebay, was sold and the next day I got email from ebay "Congratulation, item you're watching is relisted."
For once or twice, I thought it's just a coincidence.
But it's happening every week.
So, are they really selling those camera or not?
I have no clue but it makes me suspicious something is going on.
Anybody also know about this?
01-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
Inactive Account

i purchased 77mm limited from them back in november; i ended up receiving the lens 5 weeks since payment. the lens itself is great. i was worried about their packing based on other people's posts but mine came in bubble wrap with small box outside, no signs of damage. thank goodness.

i gave em couple rings during that time to check on the status, which was a mixed bag experience. i talked to two different people with total of 3 calls, and they were totally unsympathetic, unapologetic towards my wait. i felt my business was not appreciated but decided to go on ahead anyway. although it was a frustrating experience overall, i paid around $410 shipped with MS 30% cahsback, which is just an awesome deal.

so i recently went ahead and placed an order for 43mm limited. i personally prefer silver and they were one of the few who offered the lens in that color so i went ahead again. i paid $370 shipped. after 5 days of placing the order, i called to see whether my lens has shipped. they replied my "order is still in verification process." whatever that means.

overall, my experience with them is neutral; they got authentic product at decent price, but frustrating customer service along with long ship time are problems they have to improve on.
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
Forum Member

Update from Progital

So i finally heard back from them. (took about 5 days) They apologized, and said they will refund $12 for the torn box. (That's what I asked for).

I do appreciate the gesture.

I do hope they will have better packaging in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by annod Quote