Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Katzeye Focusing screen

My Katzeye focusing screen showed up today, so I installed it. I must say, it sure makes focusing more accurate. Use to be with the stock on, that I would know that being in focus was somewhere between point A & B, but never dead accurate. Now just with the couple test shots I did, my focusing seems to be bang on.

One comment about the installation that I would like to note, the installation tool that came with the kit, didn't work well for me. I'm not sure if they have more than one type of tool for the different models of camera, but to POP the screen out of it's location, was not an easy task. I ended up using tweezers for most the the installation, as the supplied tool just didn't seem to reach in well where it was supposed to. Has anyone else found this to be a problem, or am I just crazy?

Now I can wait to get out and test it. Shame it's been between -20 & -30 Celsius here the past few days.

01-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I also found the supplied tool to be useless and used a pair of tweezers.
01-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Fortunately, I had bought a genuine pentax screen for my istD, and so have the Pentax tool. Real metal, and seemed to work better than the supplied tool.
It didn't stop me from dropping the darned screen on the floor and marring it, but that's just clumsiness on my part, not the tool.
01-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It didn't stop me from dropping the darned screen on the floor and marring it, but that's just clumsiness on my part, not the tool.
That's something that I'm suprised that I didn't do. I'm sometimes very unlucky when it comes to stuff like that. For a change things worked for me.

01-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

I had bought the Pentax Divided Matte LL-80 "Rule of 1/3rds" screen, and it came with a metal tool that works great. I've been using that for over a year in my K10D. Of course, after hearing everyone rave about the Katz Eye, i'm wondering if it would be worth it for my K20D that I just bought. I could sell the LL-80 to help fund it, since the Katz Eye isn't cheap...
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Split-prism screens seriously need their own sub-forum. The number of concurrently active threads about them is sometimes amazing.
01-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
My Katzeye focusing screen showed up today, so I installed it. I must say, it sure makes focusing more accurate. Use to be with the stock on, that I would know that being in focus was somewhere between point A & B, but never dead accurate. Now just with the couple test shots I did, my focusing seems to be bang on.

One comment about the installation that I would like to note, the installation tool that came with the kit, didn't work well for me. I'm not sure if they have more than one type of tool for the different models of camera, but to POP the screen out of it's location, was not an easy task. I ended up using tweezers for most the the installation, as the supplied tool just didn't seem to reach in well where it was supposed to. Has anyone else found this to be a problem, or am I just crazy?

Now I can wait to get out and test it. Shame it's been between -20 & -30 Celsius here the past few days.
Also recently got a katzeye after the indentical conclusion with regards to the standard screen. I got used to knowing about where perfect focus was, but part of my shooting was thereafter pixel peeping to make sure I was right. Often it wasn't.

I suppose in the digital age, manufacturures can cheap out in the view finder because people can just shoot again until they get the shot, but life doesn't always give us second chances at shots. While I usually got my shots with the included screen, I grew tired of this process of shoot-check-repeat in order to do so. The split prism helps, the microprisms help. My coarse adjustment to fine transition is much more precise and accuracy is greatly improved. I still can miss shots and the prisms are more or less helpful in various lighting situations, but I'd easily say to those on the outside its definately worth the outlay.

Fwiw, I also rely on the live view a lot more than I thought I would, partly because the standard focus screen was so hit/miss. People knock the K20s implementation of it, but its fine by me. It gives one the ability - especially when working with a tripod - to nail focus at 100% peak at will. I don't even bother with the view finder when I'm using a tripod and sometimes when I'm 'looking' for a shot.

K.

01-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Split-prism screens seriously need their own sub-forum. The number of concurrently active threads about them is sometimes amazing.
+1... or moderators should merge such threads into one
01-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
+1... or moderators should merge such threads into one
Or a sticky thread with the "best of"

Steve
01-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Sorta like greatest hits.
01-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I guess I am in the minority, but I liked the supplied tool. The rectangular teeth appear to be sized perfectly for the tab on the screen. Mine also had a little vertical rectangular "nub" on the tool that I used for opening and closing the screen clasp in the camera.

BTW, why is this in the "Lens" forum?
01-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Odd, I didn't even notice if my KatzEye came with a tool or not. I have several screens for my old MX film body used the tool I was familair with. It worked just fine.

Tom G
01-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I guess I am in the minority, but I liked the supplied tool. The rectangular teeth appear to be sized perfectly for the tab on the screen. Mine also had a little vertical rectangular "nub" on the tool that I used for opening and closing the screen clasp in the camera.

BTW, why is this in the "Lens" forum?
Maybe because the OP noticed all the Katz-Eye threads scattered liberally over all the rest of the site and didn't want the Lens forum to feel left out.