Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA 10-17mm Fisheye

Can you use a screw on filter with this lens? I can't afford to spend a couple hundred bucks on a lens that I want to put through the rigors of backpacking if I won't be able to protect the glass, and I've heard that these guys are impossible to protect due to the FE bulge?

Anyone know for certain whether or not this is true?

Also heard that the lens cap doesn't make a perfect seal due to the odd anti-flare protectors- that stuff can get in between the cap and the front element itself, even with the cap on?

Anyone got experience with these and want to shed some light on the situation?

Thanks!

-Tim

01-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the lens and have carried it around a lot. No, you cannot attach filters. I keep it in the pouch which is included with the purchase; that protects it very well and ensures that the front cap stays put.
01-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Damn...

Not going to work for me then. I wanted to take this thing on weeks-long backpacking trips. It's way too hard to keep the front elements clean when I'm worried about all the other stuff going on.

I guess 16mm is as wide as I'm going to get...

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!
01-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The Sigma 10-20mm takes front filters, it's not a fisheye though.....

01-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #5

A quote from popphoto.com states the following:
QuoteQuote:
As with most fisheyes, the front element of this 10–17mm (a 15-26mm equivalent, due to the 1.5X 35mm lens factor on Pentax DSLRs) bows out in front of the barrel, leaving its arched glass surface unusually exposed. Pentax claims that its SP coating, applied using a new evaporation process, improves surface resistance to water and finger oils, making it easier to clean. Still, beware of scratches!
Myself find its cap very useful and have used it on several trails in almost all conditions from heavy snow to desert heat and find it the easiest cleanable front element of all my humble lens collection.
Just my 2 cents and happy distorting, JR
01-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Don't really understand the paranoia. Simply cover the lens when not in use.
01-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I cover my DA* 16-50 when not in use, and keep the cap on even between shots that are 30 seconds or more apart, but it's constantly attracting all sorts of little goodies, which thankfully, are stopped by the UV filter.

I'm averaging around 20 miles a day and I've got a lot to worry about already with the weather-sealed gear, so I don't like the idea of having to be super careful and I don't think I'd have the patience to be constantly wiping down dirty front elements or putting things nicely back in their little bungie sacks.

While I think this could take some of the shots I'd really like to make, I feel like I'd completely destroy the thing in the process.

Are all Fish Eye's this way? (Un-UV-filterable?)

01-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Wouldn't you have to spend the time to clean off the UV filter also if it gets dirty?
01-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Take a look at this

I don't know the dimensions of the Fisheye lens, but check out this idea :
Amazon.com: LensCoat Hoodie, Extra Small Front Neoprene Lens Cap Fits Hoods from 2.75" to 3.25", Black: Camera & Photo
01-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I have to clean a UV filter it's a nuisance, but if it gets scratched, I can at least pop a new one on for cheap when I get home.

If I scratch a front element, the lens is worthless.

Based on past experience, and on the type of adventures I'd need this to survive through, I don't think I can confidently spend $300 on a piece of equipment that one wayward stick could destroy.

Plus I shoot in rain, fog, snow, and below freezing temps... can this lens survive through all of that too?

Basically I'm looking for a DA* 10-anything... weather sealed, water/temp resistant fisheye. As far as I can tell, that's not on the roadmap, so for now, I'll just have to work on my technique and make it happen with what I've got!

Thanks for the advice all, I'm going to check out that link right now Calico
01-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Are all Fish Eye's this way? (Un-UV-filterable?)
Probably. The filter rim has an excellent chance of getting into the field of view if it sticks out enough to protect.

You might consider a fisheye meant for film such as the Zenitar. A cropped sensor only sees through the center of the lens so you can rig up some 67mm filters as a lens hood without vignetting. There's a photo of this in the fisheye thread.