Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The FA 35mm and FA 50mm are still current, but no FA 28mm. I don't understand why they would drop a good lens, when all the development and sunk costs are covered, and nothing is even planned to replace it. What am I missing?
Perhaps because they were selling too poorly to justify their continued manufacture. That's often - if not usually - the reason products are dropped.

Jer

01-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I suspect two things. One, Pentax assumed the 35mm format was dead - the idea of doing FF digital was not taken seriously (medium format was, of course, but that's another story). Second, Petnax realized that "most" people are buying zooms these days. The primes that are still sold are ones that really serve a special purpose - and to be sure, they've managed to identify quite a few special purposes. But a 28/2.8 on APS-C - especially one without quick shift or "digital" optimizations - probably didn't seem like it would be very popular. Too slow to satisfy those expecting something to replace the fast 50 they used on film. I suspect they were probably wrong about that, but maybe not. Given the number of prime vs. zoom threads here, it's pretty obvious a lot of people just don't see the point of a prime.
01-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Possibly just a decision to have one FA normal, and the 35mm is faster. Speed is a major justification for buying a prime and F2.8 is marginal. I still like the 28mm fov better.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-16-2009 at 07:44 PM.
01-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But a 28/2.8 on APS-C - especially one without quick shift or "digital" optimizations - probably didn't seem like it would be very popular. Too slow to satisfy those expecting something to replace the fast 50 they used on film. I suspect they were probably wrong about that, but maybe not.
I'd like an AF 28mm, but you're right I'd want it to be fast. I currently use a Vivitar 28mm f/2 by Komine for that purpose. It's about the size of the FA 35mm, but I would love it to be AF. I didn't buy the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 because it's huge.

The upcoming DA* 30mm will probably be no slower than f/2, but will cost a bundle. I really don't understand why Pentax didn't release an DA 28mm f/2 as one of its first primes. For one thing it would have saved me the money I spent on the 31 Ltd.

I've stopped asking myself why when it comes to Pentax. It's an exercise in futility.