Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Missouri
Posts: 429
Now we’re cooking. All of these images have an excellent pop to them so thank you for posting them. I’ve seen enough flat images taken with the latest plastic wonder lenses to make me consider dusting off my golf clubs. The sharpness of the Metlink Slippery When Wet sign reminds me of how I miss shooting Ilford Pan-F. Very nice. From the images I’ve seen, the 50/2 Summicron-R may be the go-to lens for the “Leica effect”. It’s the same apparent formula as the M-mount version but I have no detailed specs on the two other than number of elements and groups. I’ve tried several Pentax 50s with the goal of finding a similar effect and I like what I see from my 50/1.4 SMC Takumar on my K200D. I’m curious how the 43 LTD stands up to the 50/2 Summicron in a side-by-side comparison.

My experience with my Nikon lenses producing sharp images with somewhat plastic colors supports the comment above. Maybe it’s me – I’ve thought of my Nikon gear as more of a documentary style of kit and that’s the role I use it in.

This Leitax adaptor sounds interesting.

01-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, San Diego, Seattle
Posts: 456
James,

What was your experience of the Leitax Conversion kit?

I have a Leica Elmarit R 28 2.8 (3 cam) I was thinking of converting... I heard it has great color and contrast (never used it), but still on the fence about buying the Leitax kit and converting it.

BTW, I've noticed the availability on these R series decline and their prices go up just recently. Perhaps this is the new trend for Pentax and other users?


Brian
01-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #18
Voe
Veteran Member
Voe's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 708
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Where did you get the summilux to try out? I would love to have a feel around that gem too!
Oops, I meant summicron. Sorry. I also corrected the post.
01-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
James,

What was your experience of the Leitax Conversion kit?
It is rather embarassing that I asked Voe to do the conversion for me. I stuffed up the mounting of Leitax adaptor onto 90mm f2 summicron R. So I asked Voe to do the 50mm "cron" for me. It turned out very nicely.

The following is the thread that Voe referred to from Leitax website.

Summicron 50 R-only

Though the adaptor is expensive, it is well made. I think it is well worth it if Leica optics could be utilised for pentax cameras. Now 50 cron is on my camera all day today as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
I have a Leica Elmarit R 28 2.8 (3 cam) I was thinking of converting... I heard it has great color and contrast (never used it), but still on the fence about buying the Leitax kit and converting it.

BTW, I've noticed the availability on these R series decline and their prices go up just recently. Perhaps this is the new trend for Pentax and other users?


Brian
I have Elica 35mm f2 summicron R which is reported to be the "bokeh" king of all lenses. I am using it predominantly on Canon 5D as it is a perfect focal length for me. I dislike EF 35mm f1.4 L. So this Leica 35mm f2 is a constantly hooked on that camera

Elmarit 28mm f2.8 costs quite a bit at the moment. If you want to sell it, I am all ears! That is a gem and performing a lot better than most of 28mm primes. I would dream to own that too. Why don't you test the lens out by acquiring a leitax adaptor? It is well worth it.

01-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote

Iím curious how the 43 LTD stands up to the 50/2 Summicron in a side-by-side comparison.
I already know the results.

Though Fa 43 ltd is originally designed to mimic the "leica" glow of 50mm summicron, the pop from these two lenses are different things to me. I might grab these two lenses to a few scenic locations and do a fight out between the two later on in the year.

I do know Fa 43 is not that sharp in the corners with microscopic pixel peeping comparing to Summicron for sure. However, Fa 43 ltd looks prettier and sexier. The lens cap is very cute and it is lighter as well. Contrast is better with 50Summicron too.

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
My experience with my Nikon lenses producing sharp images with somewhat plastic colors supports the comment above. Maybe itís me Ė Iíve thought of my Nikon gear as more of a documentary style of kit and thatís the role I use it in.

This Leitax adaptor sounds interesting.
The latest acquisition of Nikkor 55mm f1.2 dissapoints me. I feel like throwing it in the bin after taking a couple of shots in 2 street shoots. No pop. Plasticky white out colour. Contrast is low. Bokeh not creamy but extremetly harsh. The colour is just off. Did I mention it twice? Even stopping down to f2.8, I am dissapointed. I thought this lens is supposed to perform but it did not do so on the last two occasions to force myself to love it.

So this 55mm f1.2 is a lens I will keep for the sake of testing comparison purpose.
01-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #21
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, San Diego, Seattle
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
It is rather embarassing that I asked Voe to do the conversion for me. I stuffed up the mounting of Leitax adaptor onto 90mm f2 summicron R. So I asked Voe to do the 50mm "cron" for me. It turned out very nicely.

The following is the thread that Voe referred to from Leitax website.

Summicron 50 R-only

Though the adaptor is expensive, it is well made. I think it is well worth it if Leica optics could be utilised for pentax cameras. Now 50 cron is on my camera all day today as well.

I have Elica 35mm f2 summicron R which is reported to be the "bokeh" king of all lenses. I am using it predominantly on Canon 5D as it is a perfect focal length for me. I dislike EF 35mm f1.4 L. So this Leica 35mm f2 is a constantly hooked on that camera

Elmarit 28mm f2.8 costs quite a bit at the moment. If you want to sell it, I am all ears! That is a gem and performing a lot better than most of 28mm primes. I would dream to own that too. Why don't you test the lens out by acquiring a leitax adaptor? It is well worth it.

Thank you for the reply! I believe I will order the Leitax converter from David and do a slow and careful try at the converting. (It's winter here and I have p-l-e-n-t-y of time on my hands.) I had a Zeiss T*25 or T*28 on my list anyway, so the converter should be well worth the price. If it works out well and I still hunger for the Zeiss after all this, I'll sell the converted lens here! A couple of months ago, KEH.com had several of these Elmarit 28's for about 400-500 (USD).

I think the color and contrast of the Leica lenses will be an interesting & unique addition to what is currently available in P-K mount.
01-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Piotr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
This is such a beautiful lens, being so small and compact. Yet, it renders wonderful and beautiful images.

This lens is coupled with a Leitax adaptor which costs me 125 euro including postage to Australia.

The lens itself is really a class of its own comparing to other 50mm I have used. Now I am lusting for a summilux or a noctilux!

Voe is going to do some manual testing on this gem vs a couple of other 50mms. So measurebation here in this thread.

However, I took the lens for a spin tonight. Very fine experience. Som preliminary conclusion from the use.

Colour: Superb! I cannot increase the contrast up in photoshop

Texture: Superb! So much details on skin. To real life like.

Bokeh: Takes on highlight well! And high contrast bokeh! Unheard of.

Corner sharpness: Too sharp. I will have to measurebate to prove this later on.


So a little spin with this lens tonight. The usual street candid session with everyone else in the city


This is really a fun lens. Contrasty and excellent rendering.

For sure the lens is very good, but these shots are good because of your eye. Great candid shots. Thanks for sharing.

BTW - I've just bought this lens - because of your post
01-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Missouri
Posts: 429
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The latest acquisition of Nikkor 55mm f1.2 dissapoints me. I feel like throwing it in the bin after taking a couple of shots in 2 street shoots. No pop. Plasticky white out colour. Contrast is low. Bokeh not creamy but extremetly harsh. The colour is just off. Did I mention it twice? Even stopping down to f2.8, I am dissapointed. I thought this lens is supposed to perform but it did not do so on the last two occasions to force myself to love it.

So this 55mm f1.2 is a lens I will keep for the sake of testing comparison purpose.
The 55/1.2 is a pretty extreme lens considering it dates from 1967 and my understanding is the 1978 AI update didn't change the formula. Also, the accepted history is that Nikon's coatings were not up to the standard set by Pentax back in the day. Pentax and Nikon lenses just produce images with different characteristics.

One interesting bit of info from my Hove Nikon Compendium is the 55/1.2 is sensitive to impacts from the side due to the compact nature of the internal mechanics. Easy does it.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, 50mm f2, bokeh, contrast, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, spin, tonight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Leica APO 180mm f/2 Summicron aegisphan Sold Items 11 08-02-2010 04:42 PM
For Sale - Sold: Leica Summicron R 90mm f/2 adapted to Pentax K-mount! (Worldwide) farfisa Sold Items 9 04-30-2010 05:30 PM
Leica Summicron-R 1:2/35mm and K20D Piotr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 01-02-2010 07:00 AM
Leica summicron 90/f2 converted or Carl Zeiss ZK 85/1.4?? tthana50 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 10-13-2009 06:08 AM
For Sale - Sold: Leica M3 Rangefinder (single stroke), 50mm/f2 Summicron lens chemxaj Sold Items 13 11-10-2008 12:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top