Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

final choice: system, camera, lens

Interests: candids / portraits (70%)
landscapes / street photo / makro (more flower close-ups ) (30%)

Main camera / lens /flash:

Fuji S5 Pro + Katzeye (focusing screen on the way)

SB-800 Flash

- Manual Focus glass:
Zeiss ZF 25 f/2.8
Voigtlander 58 f/1.4 SLII
Nikon 105 f/2.5 AIS

- AF glass:
Nikon 35 f/2 or Sigma 30 f/1.4 (still have to order)
Nikon AF 50 f/1.8
Nikon AF 85 f/1.8

As you can see most of my gear is selected towards the candids /portraits that I like so much.
Anyway, with the katzeye coming I would like to keep the S5Pro mostly for MF lens. As you know it is not the fastest camera around but is the best (at least for me) for my candids and portraits. The sharpness is also not the best but for my portraits, once again this is an advantage.

So, I have too many options and therefore confused. I need your advice in here.
I could go with another Zeiss but all those primes just for one camera is getting ridiculous. I need another one, for everything else that compose the 30% of my remaining type of shooting. So, as today, at least 10MP because of cropping.
First doubt: go light for street photo (1) or go with the best despite of weight (2)?

The cameras:Nikon D700 (1)
Nikon D300 (1)
Nikon D90 (2)
Pentax K-m (K2000) or K200D (2)

Both Nikon D700 and D300 will allow me to use my Zeiss and AIS lens with metering and are superior to the S5Pro in everything else that I´m interested in. With the D700 - no more lens options
With the D300 - one of the Zeiss 50 f/2 Makro, Zeiss 85 f/1.4 or Nikon AF 180 f/2.8 is still affordable.

The lightweight option is very interesting. In the Nikon side the D90 is the best option despite the D40 /D60 /D50 being lighter. For obvious AF reasons the D60 and D40 are eliminated and the D50 is still a 6.1 MP camera and I prefer to get something more on reslotion.
So the D90 is the best option (and yes I have seen the D80 but at the price diference I prefer the D90 still). With this option I could still get one of the above lens.
A much more lightweight interesting option is the Pentax system (which I already had in the past with the K20D and many FA and DA limited primes).
Now even more with the new and light K2000 (K-m) that coupled with the DA limited or the FA Limited could give a killer light combo / IQ.
For example for light The K-m with the DA 40 f/2.8 (90g) or the DA 21 f/3.2 could be almost a pocket combo. While combined with the FA 43 f/1.9 or the 31 f/1.8 would be a fabulous IQ system and still very light.

So, I hope not to sound to crazy. I´m just afraid to get the best and then not use it often outside because of weight. I would love a D700 but I recognise I´m sort of lazy to get even the S5Pro outside go figure the D700.
I also admit the Pentax and their limited keep calling me but I´m afraid that carrying 2 systems is not very practical.
Why doesn´t Nikon has a K-m sort of option? Every Pentax camera will accept and meter with a Zeiss lens. Obly a few camera in Nikon side will meter with the Zeiss and when talking about the AI/AIS this statement gets even more ridiculous. Common Nikon! This really bothers me and that is why Pentax gets in the equation.

Anyway sorry for the mess, if you are still reading can you give me your experience opinion?

Thank you

01-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Damn Brit

The only true test is to handle them and go with that which works best for you. It's not just weight, it's size, balance and feel as well.

Good luck in your decision making.
01-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If youre just looking for a camera to cover the other 30% of your shots, it seems more impractical to spend $2700 on a D700 than to get invest in a lightweight option as a back up camera. Getting a K2000 + 21 ltd + 40 ltd + 31 ltd + 43 ltd = ~$2500 which is still less than just the D700 body. This isn't to say that a D700 isn't a good camera, but if its for such a small percentage of your shots, I'd say your other options are more compelling.
01-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your feedbacks... this might sound even crazier but what about a Sigma DP1? Can´t go much lighter than that for the APS sensor size
I know it is slow and not very versatile since the lens is slow and wide... but it seems that the IQ is fabulous! This one could go with me for sure anywhere... in a pocket!
I know the DP1 is a hate / love relation from its users, but my next lightest option is the K-m with the DA 40 f/2.8, that is still expensier (obviously) and overall weight still over 600g, almost 700 with AA batteries.
So many choices!
I have dumped the D700 option. Sure the high ISO is fenomenal but indoors I shoot with the S5Pro because of its magical Auto WB that doesn´t require grey cards shots most of the time. So fo outside the D700 represents an improvment in terms of sensor and speed. For the money it is too much for me... plus always the weight... over a Kilo with batterie and memory card. I feel the S5 is already too heavy.
So now it is between a DP1 and Pentax...

01-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The dp1 has never tempted me. Slow lens that ur stuck with. An lx3 would be a better choice IMHO along with ricoh grd2 or gx200. Sensor is smaller but overall package is superior. But very different from km. Don't buy specs, buy functionality and handling especially for street. My solution is dlux4 for pocket and k20d with a variety of primes. But I may get a km if I can find one to hold to check ergos.
01-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I too have seen great results IQ wise from the DP1, but comparing it to the K2000 is like comparing apples and oranges. I suppose it comes down to how essential is pocketability. Despite being smaller, the fact that it has a slow wide lens makes the DP1 less versatile in my opinion..