Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Douglas_of_Sweden's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,348
I'm also impressed by the M135/3.5 and M/A100/2.8 due to their compactness with still good optical quality. The M85/2 is another surpricingly compact lens in the M serie, and while the "worst" Pentax 85 still a very good lens with a length of only 46mm (56mm for the M100 and 66mm for the M135). Allthough not pancakes, Pentax might be able to make something even shorter on these focal lengths with what they learned when they made the DA limiteds. Since the 85 is too close theo the 70 and 77 and since there is already a (macro) 100mm lens in production, and because of the long step between the DFA100 and the DA*200 I'd wote for a DA135/f3.5 ltd.

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
I have some doubts that a 135/2 will be possibly be very compact. The front element will need to be 135:2= 67,5 mm in diameter at least. However, I would certainly get one
If they make a 135mm at f2 or better it will be a DA* lens, not a limited. The A*135/1.8 is brick.


01-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Mallee Boy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hindmarsh Isl. Sth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,488
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
You know, Grant - I've got this lens. I just don't think of it as a "normal" telephoto - perhaps because it hunts a bit during AF when it's aimed at "normal" stuff. But you're absolutely right - it produces (in my view) super images. Maybe before I look at the Roadmap, I ought to look on the shelf I keep the lenses I already have. Right now, I'm feeling kind of stupid . . . . but, hey, I'm used to it.

Jer
LOL

Its ok Jer, they have really nice places for people with that condition now days

As said in posts by Marc & others, it has a long throw for the focus, the screw drive is a bit noisy etc etc.....but it takes a very nice photo.

Cheers mate.
01-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,795
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
LOL

Its ok Jer, they have really nice places for people with that condition now days

As said in posts by Marc & others, it has a long throw for the focus, the screw drive is a bit noisy etc etc.....but it takes a very nice photo.

Cheers mate.
Grant, it's a '60's thing. In fact, I've already called Bellevue to reserve a room. And - yes the DFA 100 does take a very nice photo. It's supposed to be sunny and warm (70+ F) tomorrow. I'm going to take mine out and use it a telephoto rather than a macro. High time, huh?

Jer
01-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,795
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Grant, it's a '60's thing. In fact, I've already called Bellevue to reserve a room. And - yes the DFA 100 does take a very nice photo. It's supposed to be sunny and warm (70+ F) tomorrow. I'm going to take mine out and use it a telephoto rather than a macro. High time, huh?

Jer
As promised, a couple of "normal" telephoto shots with DFA 100: ISO 100, 1/350 and 1/750s @ f/8.

Jer





01-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 318
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I'm also impressed by the M135/3.5 and M/A100/2.8 due to their compactness with still good optical quality. The M85/2 is another surpricingly compact lens in the M serie, and while the "worst" Pentax 85 still a very good lens with a length of only 46mm (56mm for the M100 and 66mm for the M135). Allthough not pancakes, Pentax might be able to make something even shorter on these focal lengths with what they learned when they made the DA limiteds. Since the 85 is too close theo the 70 and 77 and since there is already a (macro) 100mm lens in production, and because of the long step between the DFA100 and the DA*200 I'd wote for a DA135/f3.5 ltd.
I agree with everybody that the M/A100/2.8 is a fine, compact lens, and one that has probably been underappreciated in the Pentax community. I had the M-version, sold it, then came across the A-version couldn't resist. Now I find I have been using my the A100 over the 77 limited, maybe because it feels more telephoto. Pentax would do well to recreate something similar in a limited; however, as pointed out, Pentax will probably not do another 100mm lens due to the DFA100. Maybe keeping with their odd numbering for limiteds, they would do a 115mm or 120mm. This could be either faster or more compact than a 135mm, and would be unusual. I personally have never liked using 135mm much, finding I like using both 100mm and 200mm focal lengths better.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery Mr. DeSoto is no longer with us... PALADIN85020 Post Your Photos! 2 09-07-2010 06:13 PM
I need longer levelred Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 05-31-2010 04:21 PM
Want To Last Longer? Nowhere Matt Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 07-16-2009 01:09 PM
longer lens! redpigeons Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 04-19-2009 09:40 AM
FA*85 on longer distance Syb Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 11-21-2008 09:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top