Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The bigger issue frankly is that wretched Tamron magenta colour cast I see far too often that turns blue into this muddly mild purple. I always get the urge to select the blue channel and flick the hue slider towards cyan every time I use a Tamron lens.

01-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Alfisti: My god the excuses. Macro lenses do not just go tits up at longer distances, that is far too soft for a lens that is fantastically sharp.
Alfisti: I do not think anyone here is a Tamron Apologist; there are not excuses being made. Rather, we are all just trying, without kneee-jerking into conclusions, to provide the best and most accurate answer to the OP's question. Having spent the money on the lens, if I were the OP and I had any doubts to the lens' performance, I would surely seek other opinions too.

Looking at the original shots, which somehow show up as taken with the Nikon D-80 in my Photome (unlike the crop which show K10--bizzarre), I do not see anything obviously wrong with the sharpness.

But, as so many have sugggested, try shooting on a tripod--do not rely on these 2 shots. And, more importantly, since it is a Macro lens first and foremost, evaluate its performance in that medium. Best of luck making your decison.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-17-2009 at 07:24 PM.
01-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at the larger versions, I still think the lens is doing well. These are not the best shots to evaluate but not bad. Subject movement could be an issue that is hard to determine.

So as many have suggested, try it with good light on a tripod (SR off) at close distances and also at longer distances. Then decide. But I'll suggest one thing. I would rather return a lens I have little trust in. If you feel the lens just isn't what you want or not up to expectations, then return it. I always find that if I suspect a lens isn't as good as I want, the lens gets little use. Then it's worthless.