Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something is odd about that lens - besides the damage. It looks like an extremely short hood or the body of a large filter has been attached to the lens. That is the most damaged part in your photo. Here is a photo of one of these lenses:

The lens has the focus ring, then a short barrel with a step machined into it for a slip-on lens cap. Inside the barrel's rim are threads for a filter. Your pic doesn't have the step, and the diameter of the filter threads looks a bit larger than normal.

If I'm right, the first step is to get that damaged part off. If you're lucky, it simply unscrews and that's where all the damage is. Discard the part and evaluate the remaining lens.

If the lens's normal filter rings are damaged, you have a bigger problem. The loose lens can be fixed, but the normal way to do this is to unscrew the ring with the "SMC Pentax-M..." lettering on it. It unscrews using the filter threads, and it won't come off if the threads are damaged. The lens can probably be fixed but you might have to do some Dremel work to get the "name" ring off.

01-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Yeah, I think it might be a busted out polarizer. Probably got stuck on and some one got "creative" trying to keep the lens usable. It may be that if you grab at the base of the rotating part, you can rotate that right off. Or maybe just use as is?
01-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #33
Raylonn

Hey guys, thanks for the tips! Was able to get the thing off, which I believe is a step up, which was screwed into the original filter ring. That entire thing must have been dropped, and busted off the cap, which is held on by three screws. two of the screws stripped out while one held on. I eventually got that entire thing off by simply forcing the last screw out. Then I wrapped a rubber glove around the stepup and just forced it out. It unscrewed out, but not without a fight. There were lovely grinding metal noises the entire wa. I won't try to screw another filter onto it, that's for sure.

While I had everything undone I decided to clean it. I found some fungi but luckily they cleaned right off! The aperture blades were perfectly dry and quick. Took some pictures and this thing has excellent bokeh. Extremely sharp at 2.8. And all for free! I'm glad photographers are some of the nicest people you can meet.

EDIT: Oh and yes in the last picture, the name plate wouldnt screw down, so i ended up just forcing it down. It is just plastic so with a little convincing it went straight down. Looks as if nothing ever happened.

Last edited by Raylonn; 03-12-2009 at 07:36 PM.
01-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylonn Quote
...It unscrewed out, but not without a fight. There were lovely grinding metal noises the entire wa. I won't try to screw another filter onto it, that's for sure.
In a similar situation, I have taken an old filter, removed the glass, put some epoxy on the threads and screwed it on one last time. The new filter gives you some working threads for accessories, etc., and improve the looks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylonn Quote
...EDIT: Oh and yes in the last picture, the name plate wouldnt screw down, so i ended up just forcing it down. It is just plastic so with a little convincing it went straight down. Looks as if nothing ever happened.
Plastic! Shocking! I thought it was aluminum, thus my dire predictions. Lucky for you.

01-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HAha!!! I also got filters stuck on my 50mm 1.4 a couple of months back. It was a really tough process pulling it off, involved cooling and heating the metal and a lot of grip and leverage. Ill never be putting a filter back on there.