Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Usually a polarizer on my lenses during bright daylight. Not only for the polarizing effects but it also acts as a bit of a neutral density filter so I can have more depth of field control with my faster glass.

01-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Hoya HMC UV(n) filters on Sigma 17-70 and 10-20
Minolta AC 1B Skylight filter on my FA35/2
B&W ES 010 UV filter on my F50/1.7
01-18-2009, 02:34 AM   #18
Forum Member

I've had a Hoya HMC UV(0) filter for DA 70 and DA 40 and since I couldn't find 43 mm Hoya, a cheapish Dörr UV for DA21... been wondering though are these really necessary, 'cause pancakes have very good lens hoods which, I think, do offer protection, too. When I bought my first DSLR I was told that UV filters are a good and cheap way to protect your valuable lenses from scratches and have used them ever since, but now I have started to question their value... I haven't done any IQ tests with/without filters, but perhaps I should. Does anyone else use filters with pancakes?

Regards,
Jari
01-18-2009, 04:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JRock Quote
What are the benefits of sky and haze filters?
Haze filters have a slight yellow cast (to counteract the bluish cast caused by haze).

Skylight filters have a slight pink cast (for a warming effect in order to reduce overly dark blue skies)

UV filters are neutral in the visible colour range. The other two above often reduce UV as well.

None of these are required for digital cameras really. You can achieve the effect of the first two with PP and digital sensor are much less sensitive to UV than film is.

Many (myself included) use UV filters for protection. But, you can get pure protection filters (without a UV filter function) as well. I suggest to buy premium multi-coated filters only.

01-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None...

Lens designs are improving rapidly and lenses are so cheap that if any were damaged by a lack of filter, I'd just remind myself to be more careful, replace the lens with a better one, and move on.

BTW: I'm very conscientious... almost over protective. I've never discarded or replaced a lens for any reason.
01-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B+W UV MRC filters on all the lenses, right from the start.
01-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

My lenses go naked before the world unless I need to filter them for a specific reason. I've managed 4 decades of photography without damaging a lens that a filter would have prevented from happening.

01-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Just a sun shade
01-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My lenses go naked before the world unless I need to filter them for a specific reason. I've managed 4 decades of photography without damaging a lens that a filter would have prevented from happening.
And I went two months of DSLR ownership before damaging a lens in a manner which would have been prevented by a filter .

I suppose if you know you tend to get a little fired up and throw caution to the wind like I know I do, you ought to prepare your gear to protect it from your future carelessness, but if you can act with due caution like Wheatfield, you can forgo the protection of a "protection filter".
01-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
And I went two months of DSLR ownership before damaging a lens in a manner which would have been prevented by a filter .

I suppose if you know you tend to get a little fired up and throw caution to the wind like I know I do, you ought to prepare your gear to protect it from your future carelessness, but if you can act with due caution like Wheatfield, you can forgo the protection of a "protection filter".
I don't think due caution enters into it. Any equipment I've damaged has been so thorough that the equipment is a complete loss.

01-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #26
Inactive Account

The only filters I ever use (and it's a rarity) are a polarizer and a 6X Cross (star) filters. Typically it's just a lens hood and to cap the lens when I'm done!
01-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

starting to use colour filters for B&W film
01-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I don't think due caution enters into it. Any equipment I've damaged has been so thorough that the equipment is a complete loss.

That'll buff right out...

B+W UV MRC on all my lenses (except for one that has just the regular UV). I have ended up in the desert in windy conditions with grit flying everywhere. I'd rather the filter take the abuse than the lense.
01-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I use SMC Pentax UV filters on my lenses when I use filters. I don't know if Pentax filters are any better than the other manufacturers but I always felt if there were any advantage to having SMC coatings on the lenses I might as well have it on the filters as well.

Tom G
01-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

No kidding, you really don't mess around. I think you could still sell that one on ebay, "for parts - already disassembled". I hope the story (whether it's the truth or not) is suitably exciting?... do tell.