Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What filter is usually on your lens?

Just wondering because there are so many, I usually just have a UV on. What are the benefits of sky and haze filters?

Jrock.

01-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

No filters. Lens hoods only here.

Polarizing on a very rare occasion, but that's all.

c[_]
01-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Ditto, I'm the same.
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't usually have a filter on any of my lenses.

When I do, it's a Tiffen Soft F/X #2 or #3 filter for portraits.

I used the warm version for years, but lately I'm getting to like the regular version.

I'll also use a polarizer for a deeper blue sky.

Mike

01-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ditto.

Never had any filters, then went & bought some and got talked into UV filters for "protection".
Have now taken all filters off, my rationale? the less between the image & the lens the better.

I now only use them in specific instances.

Cheers
01-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I went thru a short paranoid phase when I use UV filters for protection.

That moderated to rubber hoods for protection as well as flare avoidance 'til the rubber cracked.

Now mostly nothing.

But I think I'll buy another rubber hood or two.
01-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Sans Filter, except when at the beach or it is dusty.

as for sky and haze, post processing is the way to go

plus I tend to use the hood almost always as protection too

01-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #8

Hello,

B+W UV MRC filters for all my new lenses and since day #1 (especially my Limiteds), Tiffen/Marumi/Pentax/Zeiss filters for the others ...

Best regards
01-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ah, the great filter debate... Most here will tell you they don't use filters because filters degrade image quality. I have quality multicoated UV filters on all my high end glass and can't see the degradation (even when pixel peeping), whereas the peace of mind of that protection is huge. I tend to bushwack around in the mountains a lot, and climb up and down steep banks of dirt, rock cliffs, jump from rock to rock crossing streams, crawl on my hands and knees under brushfields etc., so perhaps it's a different environment which has me convinced of the need for protection (it could also be the scratch I put on the front element of a lens once). I've also pulled lenses out of my pack to find that the cap had jostled loose of it's grip on the front of the lens and been riding around loose mere millimeters from the front element (actually a filter) I feel like a lens cap could scratch a front element over the course of say an average trip through airport security and stowage under the seat as carry-on luggage. The most common thing my filter protects my lens from is sticky one-year-old fingers as the camera is obviously the most fun toy around - that's why daddy's always playing with it.

If I am shooting at night where point light sources might cause internal reflections to be an issue I take off the filter.

To quote myself from an earlier discussion of this issue...
QuoteQuote:
I figure if pros like benjikan can use 'em and not see a degradation, I ought to be ok .
01-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a B+W MRC UV filter on my DA*300 and on occasion a B+W MRC circular polarizer on my Sigma 18-50.
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

UV 30% of the time;
CPL 50% of the time.
01-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JRock Quote
Just wondering because there are so many, I usually just have a UV on. What are the benefits of sky and haze filters?

Jrock.
I have one polarizing filter. Also, I got one Hoya UV[0] filter as a gift. UV filters labeled Haze tend to block out some visible light. I don't think the other "weaker" UV filters actually work on digital sensors; they were probably useful in the film days to decrease haze; there is probably little or no difference in digital cameras, except for flare and other occasional unwanted effects (although some board members think flare is a feature). I also have a clear Tiffen "filter," which I have not tried yet--it's for the rainy or snowy days, since I'm less paranoid about wiping stuff off the filter than the front element, even though modern glass and coatings are very hard and scratch immune. BTW, cheap uncoated filters may cause flare.
01-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Usually none, but depending on where i am, a uv or skylight are used occasionally during a 2-7 day outing.
01-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I pop Hoya HMC Super UV(0)s on all my lenses as soon as I get them.

Honestly- I doubt there's a noticable different in IQ with them on, but like Josh (Heliphoto) above, I'm usually out in the wild when shooting- so it's worth the peace of mind to me even if there is some.

I'll take a 99% fantastic image and a re-usable $600 lens over a 100% fantastic image and a $600 paper-weight all day long
01-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
UV 30% of the time;
CPL 50% of the time.
UV 90% for me

CPL 10%