Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

D-FA 100/2.8 macro

Hi all,

there's no limit for my questions... Just got today a second-hand DFA 100 macro. No documentation came with it, and I was left wondering what might the switch "clamp off - on" be for? Can anybody help?

BW,

Jari

01-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jari,

I don't have this lens myself but you can get any manual from Pentax website:

Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Select Category 'Lenses' and Sub-Category 'D FA', then you download the manual.
01-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jesalonen Quote
there's no limit for my questions... Just got today a second-hand DFA 100 macro. No documentation came with it, and I was left wondering what might the switch "clamp off - on" be for? Can anybody help?
Clamp it and try to focus. Nothing happens.

Macro lenses have magnification scale ('1/x' in addition to 'ft' and 'm' distance scale), so for certain applications you want your lens to be set and stay at, say, 1:2 magnification. Then you focus by moving the whole camera back and forth. This focusing approach is typical for macro applications.

I would prefer focus limiter on D-FA 100mm Macro, but for some reason Pentax has decided to remove limiter and leave clamp. IMO, focus limiter would be much more useful feature.
01-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Is that the focus limiter? You should be able to download a copy of the owners manual for the lens off the Pentax USA website (It will be in English though).

01-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Is that the focus limiter? You should be able to download a copy of the owners manual for the lens off the Pentax USA website (It will be in English though).
There's no fucus limiter on the D FA 100mm. As Ivan said, the clamp just locks the focussing ring for one set distance.
01-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax DFA macro lenses only have a focus clamp. Basically it locks the focusing ring. You can use it in a variety of ways. For example, if you want to shoot at a set magnification or distance (for example 1:1) and you focus by moving the camera forwards or backwards with your body or perhaps a focusing rail. Can also be used if you're using a copy stand to shoot documents or artwork where you don't want the focusing ring to inadvertently move or creep when shooting.
01-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
Clamp it and try to focus. Nothing happens.
Damn! So that's what it is for... Canon had nothing like that

Thanks all, again!