Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #1

Etched coating on lens???

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you can take a look at this shot and let me know what ya think?

Hope the pics shows up for ya.

Well, I got this of fleabay and it was only $20 so I thought, how can i pass this up!? It's a Takumar 2.5 135mm lens from Hawaii. FYI- they said the lens was clean and ready BTW. I looked online about fungus and I can't say I see anything similar to what this lens has but It does look like fungus was inside it at sometime and was removed leaving the signs of it on the lens coating. Would you guys agree? (oh, and this stuff is on the rear element and looks inbetween them two pieces of glass)

Is this junk? You're opinions

Thanks
Steve

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 

Last edited by zoeybird; 01-18-2009 at 03:05 PM.
01-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This looks indeed like fungus... Too bad! Keep it away from other lenses until you know for sure. Have you tried to take some shots with it already?
01-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Here are some pics I just took, just resized them without any altering.

I just can't see the spider webs as shown in the web pics...but I do see the etching in the lens coating that looks like the lens did have fungus at one time though...
Attached Images

01-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

interesting... the shots still look quite good... perhaps if you look at the images at 100% and carefully scan over them you might know for certain if there's any issues (try taking shots of walls or anything with flat colour)

01-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It's fungus. I'd get rid of the thing myself.
01-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does look like fungus that was cleaned out but etched the coatings. If you want, I have the back half of this lens that I can send to you for postage ($5). You can simply unscrew your front elements and hood, screw them on this lens and be ready to go.
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

First, you're right on the money. It had fungus and it was cleaned but left behind those etchings. Exactly as you determined.

Secondly, as far as I know fungus is not "contagious".fungus among us So, don't worry about these people telling you the lens is rubbish and to throw it away. That's silly.

Thirdly, look at the photos taken with the lens that you've posted. Don't they answer your question? The lens sure looks usable to me and also looks worth $20.

I'd use it and not touch it. What I might do is contact the seller as you have an excellent photograph of the damage the fungus did before it was cleaned. I might ask for half the price back.

Regards,
Mike
01-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It does look like fungus that was cleaned out but etched the coatings. If you want, I have the back half of this lens that I can send to you for postage ($5). You can simply unscrew your front elements and hood, screw them on this lens and be ready to go.
That's really kool Dave, thank you so much for offering...If I was familiar with the dis- & assembly of the lens...I would definitely do it...but, I'm gonna get as much out of the lens as I can for now

Thank you for offering again
Steve

01-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
First, you're right on the money. It had fungus and it was cleaned but left behind those etchings. Exactly as you determined.

Secondly, as far as I know fungus is not "contagious".fungus among us So, don't worry about these people telling you the lens is rubbish and to throw it away. That's silly.

Thirdly, look at the photos taken with the lens that you've posted. Don't they answer your question? The lens sure looks usable to me and also looks worth $20.

I'd use it and not touch it. What I might do is contact the seller as you have an excellent photograph of the damage the fungus did before it was cleaned. I might ask for half the price back.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike,

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out...not really the fungus anymore but the reminents of it after it's left alone too long...I'm gonna take your advice and just drive this lens to the apperature falls of and get every bit of $20 out of this thing...

Steve
01-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoeybird Quote
That's really kool Dave, thank you so much for offering...If I was familiar with the dis- & assembly of the lens...I would definitely do it...but, I'm gonna get as much out of the lens as I can for now

Thank you for offering again
Steve
This is one of the finest lenses in the world, at least when it comes to disassembly. Focus to the minimum distance, 1.2 meters. Extend the lens hood. Grab the focus ring in your left hand and the lens barrel exposed by sliding the hood out in the right hand. Turn your right hand counter-clockwise. About five turns later, the lens comes apart. You'll have the front two elements, barrel and hood in one hand and the mount, rear elements, aperture and focus in the other. The hood slides right off, so be careful with the front part.
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hey Dave
I totally agree with ya now after following your instructions. It was easier than I could've imagined. Do all older lens and new ones come out like this? After getting inside and taking another look at things. It definitely had some rework done to get as much of the fungus out as possible, leaving just the reminents of whatever the fungus leaves behind etched in the coating.

Thank you again for the help.
Steve
01-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoeybird Quote
Hey Dave
I totally agree with ya now after following your instructions. It was easier than I could've imagined. Do all older lens and new ones come out like this?
Only a few lenses come apart like this, unfortunately. The Super-Takumar, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5 lenses all do, but only the f2.5s. The Pentax-M 200mm f4 also does. I would try it first with anything above 135mm, but so far I haven't stumbled on any of those lenses.
01-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Only a few lenses come apart like this, unfortunately. The Super-Takumar, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5 lenses all do, but only the f2.5s. The Pentax-M 200mm f4 also does. I would try it first with anything above 135mm, but so far I haven't stumbled on any of those lenses.
I have a S-M-C Takumar 200/4 that does this. The front part (about an inch and a half) of the lens unscrews. This turns out to be very useful because mine is a perfect lens except that there is a ding at the end. At some point I want to remove the ding, and since I can separate the front bit like this it means that I'll have less lens to hold when bashing the filterring back into shape.

Richard
01-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #14

I am not so sure if it is really fungus. Fungus is normally white (or gray) and the etchings appear blunt. Since this is yellow it might be that cleaning fluid crept into the lens and left the stain. Try to take it apart and see. Is this the bayonet version or a screw mount lens? The Takumar(bayonet) is not worth much.
I, too, don't believe that fungus is contagious - I am happy to take fungus coated lenses off your hands if you guys are afraid of them.
01-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chse Quote
I am not so sure if it is really fungus. Fungus is normally white (or gray) and the etchings appear blunt. Since this is yellow it might be that cleaning fluid crept into the lens and left the stain. Try to take it apart and see. Is this the bayonet version or a screw mount lens? The Takumar(bayonet) is not worth much.
I, too, don't believe that fungus is contagious - I am happy to take fungus coated lenses off your hands if you guys are afraid of them.
Take it from me, there is fungal damage on the coating.
Perhaps where you live where temperature and humidity are much lower fungus may be less of a problem but where I am, putting a lens with fungus together with other good clean optics is a recipe for disaster. The fungal spores aren't just on the lens elements where it is visible but inside the lens barrel too. And they can spread.