Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 36
Etched coating on lens???

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you can take a look at this shot and let me know what ya think?

Hope the pics shows up for ya.

Well, I got this of fleabay and it was only $20 so I thought, how can i pass this up!? It's a Takumar 2.5 135mm lens from Hawaii. FYI- they said the lens was clean and ready BTW. I looked online about fungus and I can't say I see anything similar to what this lens has but It does look like fungus was inside it at sometime and was removed leaving the signs of it on the lens coating. Would you guys agree? (oh, and this stuff is on the rear element and looks inbetween them two pieces of glass)

Is this junk? You're opinions

Thanks
Steve

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 

Last edited by zoeybird; 01-18-2009 at 03:05 PM.
01-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
This looks indeed like fungus... Too bad! Keep it away from other lenses until you know for sure. Have you tried to take some shots with it already?
01-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 36
Original Poster
Here are some pics I just took, just resized them without any altering.

I just can't see the spider webs as shown in the web pics...but I do see the etching in the lens coating that looks like the lens did have fungus at one time though...
Attached Images
       
01-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Vylen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,250
interesting... the shots still look quite good... perhaps if you look at the images at 100% and carefully scan over them you might know for certain if there's any issues (try taking shots of walls or anything with flat colour)

01-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
It's fungus. I'd get rid of the thing myself.
01-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,859
It does look like fungus that was cleaned out but etched the coatings. If you want, I have the back half of this lens that I can send to you for postage ($5). You can simply unscrew your front elements and hood, screw them on this lens and be ready to go.
01-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member
X Man's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 478
First, you're right on the money. It had fungus and it was cleaned but left behind those etchings. Exactly as you determined.

Secondly, as far as I know fungus is not "contagious".fungus among us So, don't worry about these people telling you the lens is rubbish and to throw it away. That's silly.

Thirdly, look at the photos taken with the lens that you've posted. Don't they answer your question? The lens sure looks usable to me and also looks worth $20.

I'd use it and not touch it. What I might do is contact the seller as you have an excellent photograph of the damage the fungus did before it was cleaned. I might ask for half the price back.

Regards,
Mike
01-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 36
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It does look like fungus that was cleaned out but etched the coatings. If you want, I have the back half of this lens that I can send to you for postage ($5). You can simply unscrew your front elements and hood, screw them on this lens and be ready to go.
That's really kool Dave, thank you so much for offering...If I was familiar with the dis- & assembly of the lens...I would definitely do it...but, I'm gonna get as much out of the lens as I can for now

Thank you for offering again
Steve

01-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 36
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
First, you're right on the money. It had fungus and it was cleaned but left behind those etchings. Exactly as you determined.

Secondly, as far as I know fungus is not "contagious".fungus among us So, don't worry about these people telling you the lens is rubbish and to throw it away. That's silly.

Thirdly, look at the photos taken with the lens that you've posted. Don't they answer your question? The lens sure looks usable to me and also looks worth $20.

I'd use it and not touch it. What I might do is contact the seller as you have an excellent photograph of the damage the fungus did before it was cleaned. I might ask for half the price back.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike,

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out...not really the fungus anymore but the reminents of it after it's left alone too long...I'm gonna take your advice and just drive this lens to the apperature falls of and get every bit of $20 out of this thing...

Steve
01-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,859
QuoteOriginally posted by zoeybird Quote
That's really kool Dave, thank you so much for offering...If I was familiar with the dis- & assembly of the lens...I would definitely do it...but, I'm gonna get as much out of the lens as I can for now

Thank you for offering again
Steve
This is one of the finest lenses in the world, at least when it comes to disassembly. Focus to the minimum distance, 1.2 meters. Extend the lens hood. Grab the focus ring in your left hand and the lens barrel exposed by sliding the hood out in the right hand. Turn your right hand counter-clockwise. About five turns later, the lens comes apart. You'll have the front two elements, barrel and hood in one hand and the mount, rear elements, aperture and focus in the other. The hood slides right off, so be careful with the front part.
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 36
Original Poster
Hey Dave
I totally agree with ya now after following your instructions. It was easier than I could've imagined. Do all older lens and new ones come out like this? After getting inside and taking another look at things. It definitely had some rework done to get as much of the fungus out as possible, leaving just the reminents of whatever the fungus leaves behind etched in the coating.

Thank you again for the help.
Steve
01-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,859
QuoteOriginally posted by zoeybird Quote
Hey Dave
I totally agree with ya now after following your instructions. It was easier than I could've imagined. Do all older lens and new ones come out like this?
Only a few lenses come apart like this, unfortunately. The Super-Takumar, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5 lenses all do, but only the f2.5s. The Pentax-M 200mm f4 also does. I would try it first with anything above 135mm, but so far I haven't stumbled on any of those lenses.
01-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: England
Posts: 309
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Only a few lenses come apart like this, unfortunately. The Super-Takumar, Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5 lenses all do, but only the f2.5s. The Pentax-M 200mm f4 also does. I would try it first with anything above 135mm, but so far I haven't stumbled on any of those lenses.
I have a S-M-C Takumar 200/4 that does this. The front part (about an inch and a half) of the lens unscrews. This turns out to be very useful because mine is a perfect lens except that there is a ding at the end. At some point I want to remove the ding, and since I can separate the front bit like this it means that I'll have less lens to hold when bashing the filterring back into shape.

Richard
01-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 167
I am not so sure if it is really fungus. Fungus is normally white (or gray) and the etchings appear blunt. Since this is yellow it might be that cleaning fluid crept into the lens and left the stain. Try to take it apart and see. Is this the bayonet version or a screw mount lens? The Takumar(bayonet) is not worth much.
I, too, don't believe that fungus is contagious - I am happy to take fungus coated lenses off your hands if you guys are afraid of them.
01-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by chse Quote
I am not so sure if it is really fungus. Fungus is normally white (or gray) and the etchings appear blunt. Since this is yellow it might be that cleaning fluid crept into the lens and left the stain. Try to take it apart and see. Is this the bayonet version or a screw mount lens? The Takumar(bayonet) is not worth much.
I, too, don't believe that fungus is contagious - I am happy to take fungus coated lenses off your hands if you guys are afraid of them.
Take it from me, there is fungal damage on the coating.
Perhaps where you live where temperature and humidity are much lower fungus may be less of a problem but where I am, putting a lens with fungus together with other good clean optics is a recipe for disaster. The fungal spores aren't just on the lens elements where it is visible but inside the lens barrel too. And they can spread.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
fungus, guys, k-mount, lens, look, pentax lens, slr lens, ya
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uneven coating discoloration deep in an old lens... nater Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 11-03-2010 12:36 PM
yellowed lens or SMC coating mnseawa Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 06-14-2010 02:13 PM
Compare the lens coating of Takumar-F 70-210mm and smc Pentax-F 70-210mm jcdog2006 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 02-19-2010 08:16 AM
FA*300mm with damage to the coating? DanielT74 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 10-09-2009 06:45 PM
How to? - coating shots axl Photographic Technique 0 05-23-2009 02:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top