Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Douglas the K17f4 fish eye is a fun lens. It is very compact. Excellent sharpness with the typical great color and contrast. It has very close focus too. If you occasionally like to shoot film it really shines.

If the condition and price is right I don't think you would regret the purchase.
I've seen some nice landscape photos with it on a DSLR.
Do you have any idea of what the price should be. I have rarely seen it for sale.

01-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #32

hoping for the tokina/pentax version in 11-16/2.8.
01-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
That's an interresting option, though they appear to think in the test that it does not perform so well on digital.
Anyone knows if it has been tested somewhere directly against the DA14?
01-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I've seen some nice landscape photos with it on a DSLR.
Do you have any idea of what the price should be. I have rarely seen it for sale.
Under $500(US) is a good starting point. Condition pending. With original case and lens cap will bring a premium. It is a well crafted lens.

There are also the Takumar versions that are basically the same lens just as sharp without the SMC coatings. There are two Tak versions one without a lens coating one with lens coating. I would say below $350 depending condition.

01-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
That's an interresting option, though they appear to think in the test that it does not perform so well on digital.
Anyone knows if it has been tested somewhere directly against the DA14?
You can compare the two photozone tests:
Tammy
DA 14

It seems to me that the DA 14 has a little more resolution, less CA, less distortion, and about equivalent light fall off.
01-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
I just wanted to point out about considering the use of fisheye lenses for ultra wide angles that a fisheye lens will have an angle of view significantly greater than an ultra wide rectilinear lens of the same focal length. People say that the Zenitar 16mm after defishing is similar to a 12mm rectilinear lens. I also know that the Pentax 10-17mm at 17mm has an angle of view before defishing that is just about as large as a 10mm rectilinear lens, so maybe after defishing it would be just within the focal length requested. It's just something that people should be aware of when considering that type of approach.