Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 16-45mm Supporters Thread

A while back there was a thread about using zooms as macros and there has also been some comments about the 16-45 being challenging with CA and fringing etc. It is in support of the use of zooms as macros but using what you have when you can that I have posted these images.
The 16-45 is my walkaround lens and today I found myself killing time at a rural strip for a few hours waiting for a charter flight to come in. The 16-45 was my only lens at hand so here are some examples. The images have been pped with crops and contrast adjustments and then resized but I just loved the bokeh and sharpness that comes from this lens, especially at minimum focussing distance.

The K20D has also contributed sensor resolution to these images.

01-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is this with a close-up filter, or just the straight lens?
01-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Straight lens but cropped - that is where the K20D sensor helps as heavy cropping is possible without loss in resolution. The lens does allow very close focus. At a focal length of16mm WA the lens can focus at a front element to subject distance of 92mm, at 45mm it is a little closer.
01-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice! Can't wait to get my K20D this week to push the sensor to its limits just like this.

01-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've also noticed nice closeup ability with the 16-45

And over all, it's just a great lens. I bought mine when it was still $350 new, and I thought, and still feel, that it was a good buy. Now that it's so cheap, it's practically a steal.

(a snapshot I took the first day I got the K20D)
01-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

prime quality

I got this lens a month ago.

I have done unscientific comparison shots of the 16-45mm and SMC-A 50mm f1.7, the zoom's color, contrast is comparable, if not better in some cases.

I even compared the 16-45mm to the DA 35mm f2.8 macro in some close-up shots. I was surprised by about how close the 16-45mm is in terms of sharpness, colors, even at f4.
The DA 35mm macro shots just look a teeny bit more contrasty, more color. But not very noticeably different. 16-45mm is very very close.

I am really impressed with this lens. Too bad I don't really like to carry it around as it's a bit big. (in my day to day life, I put the camera+lens in a ski hat, then shove it in my purse/backpack.) So I haven't put to good use...yet.
01-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought mine before I had a dSLR. And I love it with film, I use it with the ZX-10 and the Program Plus... I agree re. size, it is large-ish and heavy-ish for what it is, but the photographic quality is excellent. The lens handles contrast and color very well, in a concentrated way that makes for good photos. In absolute terms it does lose out to good primes in ultimate resolution and overall contrast... and often the images meter out darker than I'd like. Though the look is beguiling, and easy to correct for with a bit of exposure comp.

Here's a wall shot with the ZX-10 - I don't recall the film I used!
01-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oooh I love mine

Harsh bokeh, but I've not noticed the pronounced CA issues this lens is supposed to have. Pleasantly sharp too!

01-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #9

wow... I think K20D is in my list now.. that quality on cropped images is impossible on a K10D...

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Straight lens but cropped - that is where the K20D sensor helps as heavy cropping is possible without loss in resolution. The lens does allow very close focus. At a focal length of16mm WA the lens can focus at a front element to subject distance of 92mm, at 45mm it is a little closer.