Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Zeiss 50 f/2 Makro or Zeiss 85 f/1.4?

Hello again,

Iīm really undecided on which one to get for portraits but also other general kind of shooting. Flowers, landscapes etc.. Donīt really know what is the best compromise.
I have the zeiss 25 f/2.8 and love it. I also have the Nikon 85 f/1.8 because of AF with kids and the Voigtlander 58 f/1.4 SII. Nevertheless I want one of the Zeiss. The 85 would serve me well in portraits but Iīm not sure on the investment since I already have the Voigtlander that seems to have a similar look of the Zeiss. The diference in focal range might not be enough to justify the zeiss but Iīm not sure about the real diferences between the voigtlander and the Zeiss 85.
Teoretically the 50 Makro is not suited for portraits but I have seen some wonderfull shots of people with it. Plus my main subject is my little girl which the sharpness would not be much of a problem. Of course if I would shoot (with the camera) my mother in law she would not be very happy to see how old she is getting
For other purposes the Makro shines and the fact that it isnīt 1:1 really presents itself as an advantage to me since I much prefer close-ups than true makros.
The price diference also isnīt s decising factor since the Makro is a little expensier but not too much.

Can you help me here?

01-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
mer

Of course we can help.

I will ask a question first. Have you tried the different focal lengths ? The difference between 58 and 85 is not THAT great but it is quite different . But you should already know that . Since you want a good portrait lens but also for close ups you don't need really need a macro lens . The macro lens is good for portairture ( only because it becomes a 75mm lens ) but nothing special ( given its a f/2.8 lens ) . Then you have to understand that some people use a 85mm for portraits and some use even a 200mm ( F/2.8 most of the times ) . Can you understand why some people use the 85mm instead of the 200mm ? Im saying that because the 85 will become about 130mm which is quite good for portraits and inbetween the 85mm and the 200mm ... As you said you don't really care for macros , but more for close-ups which you can always shoot with an extension ring or even with setting the lens to the closest focus .

Now the voigt vs zeiss .... The zeiss given its high aperture and the 85mm will give you a ( what I call ) poster background ( extra smooth background / diffused ) . Do you prefer a totally diffused background to a non so diffused background ? Personally I would prefer the 58mm but then again not anyone wants to be so close to the subject ... ( thats why some of them prefer the 200mm ) .

Personally I think you would enjoy the 85mm more than the macro ( since you already have the voigt which is similar to the macro ( in terms of aperture and focal length ) and i'm sure the voigt can do quite good close-ups ( if not use an extension ring which you can also use with the 85mm ) , since you don't really need real macros ( 1:1 ) .

I hope I have helped you and if u didn't understand something just ask ( oh and sorry for my bad english ) ( and btw im super drunk so I hope everything makes sense )
01-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I sense that you want them all... 21mm LTD + 25mm ZK + 31mm LTD + 40mm Voigt + A 50mm 1.2 + 70mm LTD + 85mm ZK + 100mm ZK + 125mm Voigt + A 135mm 1.8 = Long Pleasure
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

+15mm LTD (LBA to be continued?)

01-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

check here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/36041-zeiss-zk...-thoughts.html
01-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The 50/2 would seem to give you two things you don't have (a 50mm and a 1:2 macro) whereas the 85 gives you a slightly faster short tele. Being a bokeh guy, I chose the 85 because it was 1.4, but it only focuses to 1m (3 ft) so its not a real strong flower shooter. For human sized subjects/trees etc it really adds the bokeh in a way only it can though.

I don't think you'll find yourself disappointed with either choice, and you can always sell one to buy the other if you change your mind.

K.