Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
While many nikon F's will fit directly on a pentax camera the fit is sometimes not too secure.

It is often pretty easy to remove the Nikon's bayonet & replace it with a pentax bayonet. A pentax bayonet plate can be scavanged from a scrap lens or use a flange-type m42-Pentax K adapter that can be purchased from ebay - drill holes in it to align with the screw holes in the nikon lens.

Dave
This sounds fascinating, but I thought there was something about distance from the sensor? Have you, personally, done this with a Nikon to Pentax mount? If so, which lenses and what are your feelings? Was it worth it is what I am getting at here? Thanks.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-20-2009 at 10:00 PM.
01-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I believe these adapters have an additional magnification factor too -- like 1.4 or 1.5x, or so I have heard. This is a result of the additional lens in the adapter.
QuoteQuote:
I'm one of the people who has decent success cramming an old Nikon F-mount lens directly onto my K20D without an adapter, upside-down. I only have one such lens, but it's a nice one: the Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 macro lens, multicoated. It does a fine job.

Without an adapter, I believe you're limited to the old pre-AI Nikon lenses (without the stepped aperture indexing ring). That's what I have. More recent AI and AI-S lenses don't fit well, but this adapter will accommodate those (subject to its limitations, of course).

---

EDIT: here's where I read about the magnification factor:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=30720161

I don't know whether they're talking about the same adapter, but I imagine so.
Quicksand, thank you, so much, for all of your help. I very much look forward to reading your attached link.
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Troyz: You should read Sean Carpenter's dpreview thread on nikon-to-pentax mount conversions:
Thank you, I will read it--very soon!
01-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Indianadinos: A user from the DPReview Pentax SLR forum bought and tested it
Perfect! Thank you--I'm off to see the DPR wizards.

01-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Steveopedia: That implies that all Nikkors are inherently sharper than their Pentax counterparts, which isn't necessarily the case (and likely isn't
Why does losecontrol's post imply "all Nikkors are inherently sharper than their Pentax counterparts"? I do not think anyone actually believes this statement. Please explain this to me? Thanks.
01-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have one, sourced from somewhere else but it looks so similar that it's most likely the same beast. I don't think it has a 'crop factor', I'll check that. Haven't taken note of any light losses either.

I've yet to do a 'formal' evaluation but have stuck a few lenses on just to try it out. Initial impressions are that you need to stop down the lens to obtain decent quality. Wide open I got some really weird effects. I'll see if I can upload some pics.

The comment above about removing the glass elements has me thinking... Anyone know of some software that calcuates focusing distances with extension tubes (what you would end up with by removing the glass)

Nige.
01-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
HGMonaro I have one, sourced from somewhere else but it looks so similar that it's most likely the same beast. I don't think it has a 'crop factor', I'll check that. Haven't taken note of any light losses either.
Yes, I have now learned there are at least a few models. This one, below, sounds more like yours--no crop factor. It doesn't mention any light being lost.

Nikon Lens to Pentax Adapter for K100D K200D K20D K10D - eBay (item 150321565334 end time Jan-23-09 19:48:39 PST)
01-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

maybe these guys don't know what they are selling, cause I just checked and my definitely has a 'tele-convertor' effect. Need to duck out so will be back later with my findings!

01-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Clearly, there is nothing wrong with Takumars--they are some of the best glass ever assembled. But I do not think there is anything wrong with Nikon glass, or with more choices either.

I do not have the brand loyalty which some of you guys do, but respect you for your philosophy. I hope thinking outside the box, in this case, is not interpreted as iconoclasm by some of my fellow Pentaxians.
probably gooshin didn't meant brand loyalty...

the main reason to go with the takumars is mere fact that takumars are M42 lenses, thus requiring only simple M42-K adapter, with no optical elements, with no reduction in IQ - and there are some really decent long lenses in m42 mount, not only taks. and you're stuck with manual focus and manual aperture anyways.
01-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
elkarrde: probably gooshin didn't meant brand loyalty...

the main reason to go with the takumars is mere fact that takumars are M42 lenses, thus requiring only simple M42-K adapter, with no optical elements, with no reduction in IQ - and there are some really decent long lenses in m42 mount, not only taks. and you're stuck with manual focus and manual aperture anyways.
I already use some of the Taks and am familiar with their strengths. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't offending anyone here. Hopefully, some of my other comments to Gooshin, setting aside the issue of brands, better answer his question.

Also, Troyz' post, above, shows there is a way to use some old Nikkors, without an adapter--hence no image degradation whatsoever! Thanks Troyz!!
01-21-2009, 04:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

quick test of focal length / angle of view / crop factor / multiplier / whatever you want to call it...

All pics K10D, 1/200 @ f8

1st DA50-200 @ 50mm
Attached Images

01-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

2nd

Nikon 50/1.8 Series E with Nikon to PK adaptor
Attached Images

01-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Da 50-200 @ 75mm
Attached Images

01-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Nikon 50mm "wedged" directly onto camera.
Attached Images

01-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

my conclusions...

- Adaptor has a 1.5 (75/50) teleconvertor effect.
- Some exposure factor is needed as it's definitely darker.