Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax w Nikon Glass?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone tried one of these? Nikon lens to Pentax K10d k20d k100d k200d DS adapter - eBay (item 110315755981 end time Jan-20-09 15:45:02 PST)

If so, please give any important information you have on it.

01-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Has anyone tried one of these? Nikon lens to Pentax K10d k20d k100d k200d DS adapter - eBay (item 110315755981 end time Jan-20-09 15:45:02 PST)

Well, I have heard that it don't work so well. One person told me that it kills the quality of the image so much that you will not gain anything with the nikon lens comparing to any other pentax lens. But maybe im wrong.
That are cheap so buy one and try maybe it will be good, who knows

Regards

Emil
01-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the questions to the seller seems to cover everything....
01-20-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Vylen
the questions to the seller seems to cover everything....
The questions to the seller focus on function more than anything else. I, like most of us here, am already comfortable using manual focus & aperture lenses. My concern is whether or not I can utilize some of that Nikon glass, without image quality issues.

QuoteQuote:
Well, I have heard that it don't work so well. One person told me that it kills the quality of the image so much that you will not gain anything with the nikon lens comparing to any other pentax lens. But maybe im wrong.

Regards

Emil
Thanks Emil, this is the type of feedback I am seeking.

01-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote

Regards

Emil
That implies that all Nikkors are inherently sharper than their Pentax counterparts, which isn't necessarily the case (and likely isn't).
01-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

The adapter uses an auxiliary lens to attain infinity focus. As such there will be some loss of quality. Nikon owners have a similar problem adapting Pentax lenses to their cameras.

What lens are you trying to mount? Some users on this forum have had success mounting some versions of the Nikon mount lenses upside down on their K-mount cameras.

Steve
01-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only see the value with long glass* since Pentax has the short range well covered and since long glass (wildlife and sports shooters) is so demanding for picture quality that I can only guess adding a corrective lens will dimish IQ. There are close to 2 buyers there already. Someone must be a forums member and can report back.

* or if you have a closet full of old Nikon gear for nothing.

01-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Inactive Account

While many nikon F's will fit directly on a pentax camera the fit is sometimes not too secure.

It is often pretty easy to remove the Nikon's bayonet & replace it with a pentax bayonet. A pentax bayonet plate can be scavanged from a scrap lens or use a flange-type m42-Pentax K adapter that can be purchased from ebay - drill holes in it to align with the screw holes in the nikon lens.

Dave
01-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I believe these adapters have an additional magnification factor too -- like 1.4 or 1.5x, or so I have heard. This is a result of the additional lens in the adapter.

I'm one of the people who has decent success cramming an old Nikon F-mount lens directly onto my K20D without an adapter, upside-down. I only have one such lens, but it's a nice one: the Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 macro lens, multicoated. It does a fine job.

Without an adapter, I believe you're limited to the old pre-AI Nikon lenses (without the stepped aperture indexing ring). That's what I have. More recent AI and AI-S lenses don't fit well, but this adapter will accommodate those (subject to its limitations, of course).

---

EDIT: here's where I read about the magnification factor:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=30720161

I don't know whether they're talking about the same adapter, but I imagine so.

Last edited by Quicksand; 01-20-2009 at 12:16 PM.
01-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

whats wrong with takumars?
01-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You should read Sean Carpenter's dpreview thread on nikon-to-pentax mount conversions:

Using Nikon F Lenses On Pentax K Bodies (LBA Post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #12

Hello,

A user from the DPReview Pentax SLR forum bought and tested it ... The link is Nikon-F to Pentax-K lens adapter ring review

Hope this helps

Best regards
01-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Stevebrot:The adapter uses an auxiliary lens to attain infinity focus. As such there will be some loss of quality. Nikon owners have a similar problem adapting Pentax lenses to their cameras.

What lens are you trying to mount? Some users on this forum have had success mounting some versions of the Nikon mount lenses upside down on their K-mount cameras.
That really is the issue here, how much is the loss of quality--my decision will all boil down to that. I can see more responses in this thread and I hope they too will aid me to reach a conclusion. I have not decided on any one, particular lens. Thank you Steve.
01-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Peter Zack I only see the value with long glass* since Pentax has the short range well covered and since long glass (wildlife and sports shooters) is so demanding for picture quality that I can only guess adding a corrective lens will dimish IQ. There are close to 2 buyers there already. Someone must be a forums member and can report back.

* or if you have a closet full of old Nikon gear for nothing.
I agree %100 with you Peter that Pentax short range is well covered. Yes, longer glass, if image quality is sufficiently retained, would be reason enough to give it a go.

I was also thinking, if the adapter actually worked (I know, "if" sometimes is the biggest word in the English language) other doors open as well. For example a larger selection of glass would now be there for the picking. I always see tons of Nikon glass available at used venues--Pentax glass is definitely rarer, and often more expensive because of that. Moreover, the "Third party" lens makers often make lenses for Nikon which they do not make for Pentax. And I can think of a lot more good reasons to employ the adapter, but only IF the adapter works.
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Gooshin whats wrong with takumars?
Clearly, there is nothing wrong with Takumars--they are some of the best glass ever assembled. But I do not think there is anything wrong with Nikon glass, or with more choices either.

I do not have the brand loyalty which some of you guys do, but respect you for your philosophy. I hope thinking outside the box, in this case, is not interpreted as iconoclasm by some of my fellow Pentaxians.

I love my K20 and all of the Pentax glass I gathered to work with the K20. But I simply see nothing wrong with seeking other alternatives, particularly if they are just as good and are less expensive. I neither worship money, nor have a lot of it, but I do love what photography does for me. And I want to take it to higher levels. To that end, the major obstacle, for me, is money.

It is just an idea, may not go anywhere with it. I hope it in no way offends any of the Pentax faithful here--it surely was not presented here to do that.

I simply want to learn more, and all of the help I get at this forum is a catalyst to learning.