Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Reversing a 50mm for cheap macro

Just thought I'd share. This is on my evil Canon, but the same should work fine on any Pentax body (or any other body that lets you meter and shoot without it seeing a lens attached).

Did the following:

Dremeled out the center portion of a body cap.

Took a Cokin 49mm mount ring I had sitting around and superglued it (try to center it accurately) so that the thread pointed outwards. You could also use a filter with the glass knocked out.

Finally, screwed a Super Tak 50 to the ring (give it an hour or so so that there's no trace of superglue fumes, that stuff WILL mess things up!).

Unfortunately, weather was crap so had to try a couple of shots inside. I plan to use a pocket bouncer with the flash in forward facing position so it basically puts the reflector on top of the subject, but for this shot I used a 420ex on a cord.

100% crop from the above. The Super Tak does well even reversed.

01-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's pretty good. I take that back.....that's really good! I love the sharpness of the crop.
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Moved to Lens Forum.
01-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The DOF is near nothing though, this was at f/11 and it's probably 2mm or so. Keep in mind that on a crop sensor you'd get a tighter view. Should work fine with any lens you can manually stop down the aperture on while it's not connected to a body.

01-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Just thought I'd share. This is on my evil Canon, but the same should work fine on any Pentax body (or any other body that lets you meter and shoot without it seeing a lens attached).

Did the following:

Dremeled out the center portion of a body cap.

Took a Cokin 49mm mount ring I had sitting around and superglued it (try to center it accurately) so that the thread pointed outwards. You could also use a filter with the glass knocked out.

Finally, screwed a Super Tak 50 to the ring (give it an hour or so so that there's no trace of superglue fumes, that stuff WILL mess things up!).

Unfortunately, weather was crap so had to try a couple of shots inside. I plan to use a pocket bouncer with the flash in forward facing position so it basically puts the reflector on top of the subject, but for this shot I used a 420ex on a cord.
Looks like your solution works pretty well. Out of curiosity, how is this different from the $15 reversing adapter I got from my friendly local camera shop?

Name:  IMGP9589.PEF.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  24.3 KB

Steve
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

id imagine the only difference is that one is $15, the other is worth <insert amount of time and effort to make it> :P
01-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
id imagine the only difference is that one is $15, the other is worth <insert amount of time and effort to make it> :P

At my house, I have a few filters that could be sacrificed, but body caps are at a premium...

Steve

01-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe too obvious, but I can picture someone trying to use a press-in body cap for this. I must channel my Dad and warn against using a non-locking cap. Your 50mm would be in grave danger!

I got a Kiron Reverse Mate that was tucked into the box of one recent eBay purchase. I have acquired all the equipment necessary to do macros in every different way, with no real ability to take the photos.
01-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Finally, screwed a Super Tak 50 to the ring
now try with wider lens - you'll get much greater magnification.

i found reversed 50s a bit lacking in magnification department, i wanted much more, so i tried reversed 28mm lens - works like charm.
01-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This reminds me of a Simpsons episode:

Homer: Look everyone, now that I'm a teacher I've sewn patches on my elbows.
Marge: Homer that's supposed to be leather patches on a tweed jacket, not the other way around. You've ruined a perfectly good jacket.
Homer: Correction, Marge.
[He holds up a tweed jacket with two large holes in the back]
Homer: Two perfectly good jackets.
01-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Have seen good results from the 28mm ... I might see if i can get one ... although I have just got a set of extension tubes though ... so will be playing with those.
01-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I saw some a while back on pentaxuser.co.uk

Reversed 50mm f2.0 macro
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/Macro-shots-setup-4282/
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/Macro-Ant-images-3206/

In case you want to see some results with (non-evil) Pentax gear

Somebody also posted a pic of their rig with a 50 reversed onto another lens... Looked a little crazy, and answered the question "why does anybody get a real macro" but can't find it now.
01-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Looks like your solution works pretty well. Out of curiosity, how is this different from the $15 reversing adapter I got from my friendly local camera shop?

Attachment 26254

Steve
The difference was $15 vs 5 mins of work with stuff I had sitting around. I did try to sell the Cokin stuff but got zero interest even at like $10 for a bundle of gear, so figured I could just put it to use.

I know some are on a serious budget or just like to DIY so thought it was worth sharing.
01-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The difference was $15 vs 5 mins of work with stuff I had sitting around. I did try to sell the Cokin stuff but got zero interest even at like $10 for a bundle of gear, so figured I could just put it to use.

I know some are on a serious budget or just like to DIY so thought it was worth sharing.
Looks like your move to 1Ds II made you more cash conscious.
01-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Looks like your move to 1Ds II made you more cash conscious.

I've always loved DIY stuff even when it doesn't necessarily save a lot. That, and none of the local stores had reversal rings in stock and I was really eager to try it out...

But yes, the 1Ds + the glass made a dent in the camera budget. :ugh: