Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #1

k10d k200d old pentax lens compatability

hi

Does anyone understand the folloing issue, a friend has a k200d with several lenses some old pentax manual's and the will simply not work ie can not be focused manualy or allow a shot to be taken. however after placing a 1.4 or 2.0x converter between camera and lense then there is no problem.
i tried the lenses on my k10d with and without the converters and the camera works fine. i was led to belive that the pentax range was backwards compateble but it seems to vary with each body.

thanks
jamie

01-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by jamieloveuk Quote
hi

Does anyone understand the folloing issue, a friend has a k200d with several lenses some old pentax manual's and the will simply not work ie can not be focused manualy or allow a shot to be taken. however after placing a 1.4 or 2.0x converter between camera and lense then there is no problem.
i tried the lenses on my k10d with and without the converters and the camera works fine. i was led to belive that the pentax range was backwards compateble but it seems to vary with each body.

thanks
jamie
Sounds like the camera needs to be set to 'allow using aperture ring' in the custom menu.
Has he/she done that yet?
01-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i was led to belive that the pentax range was backwards compateble but it seems to vary with each body.
i doesn't vary at all - everything you need is written in the camera's manual.

now, go to the custom menu, find that "allow use of aperture ring" setting, switch it, and you're good to go.
(at least it works that way on my K100Ds)
01-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
hi

thanks
jamie
jamie

"...can not be focussed manually" ? What do you mean ? The focus ring wont turn ?

"...or allow a shot to be taken"... Apart from setting the Allow Aperture Ring in the menu, make sure the camera is in Manual Focus mode, the camera wont allow a shot to be taken if you are in Autofocus Single mode and the focus confirmation (green hexagon) is not lit.

01-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You can tell your friend, she can use the built in flash with lenses without an A aperture setting, as well:

At 100 ISO, aperture = 13 / distance in meters from subject.

It's in the manual.

Also, the focus-confirming hexagon still works.
01-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a couyple of things to check

first of all, when you say focus do you mean you get an in focus confirmation?

this could be due to black anodized lens mounts on some lenses, which do not make any electrical contact to the body, plus the focus mode you are shooting in, as some modes will not permit shutter release without focus confirmation.

read the manual to make sure everything is correct.
01-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

And make sure the focus switch on the camera body is set to manual focus.
01-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. the apeture ring is not a problem, i fully understand about using that.
when i say it will not focus i mean looking through the view finder camera set to manual and using the focus ring the is absolutley no point at which i can get focus (clear frame image) nor will the shutter release. but upon putting a converter (2x or 1.4x) between camera and lense the above problems go away and the camera can be used fully manualy, (exposure, focus ect)

01-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #9

Hi there, sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but putting the camera into 'M' or manual mode doesn't change the focus mode to manual as well, you need to set the focus mode selector at the lower front right of the body to manual, otherwise the camera will still be trying to autofocus a manual lens, and it won't let you release the shutter until it's in focus.
If you simply can't focus the lens it sounds like the lens is knackered.
01-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Have you adjusted the diopter on the viewfinder to match your eyesight yet? That is the only remaining source I can think of for your problem.

Above the viewfinder there is a little sliding bit you can move with your fingernail from left to right. Point the camera at a clear sky or a blank white wall and while looking through the viewfinder move the slide until the etched markings on the focus screen are nice and sharp. Then try manually focusing a lens again.
01-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for all the replies. the apeture ring is not a problem, i fully understand about using that.
when i say it will not focus i mean looking through the view finder camera set to manual and using the focus ring the is absolutley no point at which i can get focus (clear frame image) nor will the shutter release. but upon putting a converter (2x or 1.4x) between camera and lense the above problems go away and the camera can be used fully manualy, (exposure, focus ect)
you started off in the OP by saying that your friends camera does not work but yours does,
here you talk about not being able to get focus at all, I assume this is your friend's camera also, and not yours. Is that correct?

Does your friend's camera focus with any lenses mounted on their own?

what specific lenses is he using?
01-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums

It sounds to me as if the camera doesn't know the lens is in place so won't take the photo. This logically follows from the fact the camera does work when the TC is attached (ie. the camera knows the TC is in place.)

Two things come to mind:
1)Be certain that in the Custom menu, "Permitted" is selected under "Using aperture ring"; also set "FI with S lens used" to "Available".
2) Short the lens mount's electrical contacts with a piece of tin foil squished between lens and camera during mounting.

On edit: I'm having a hard time making my camera's shutter not work, lens or no lens! I've not identified the key setting.

Last edited by newarts; 01-27-2009 at 09:31 AM.