Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens protaction

I am sure you've been talking about it before I just could not find it anywhere.

So what are you guys using to protect an expensive lens?

Or to be more specific what's the best protection I can use for the 31mm without losing the quality that coast me so much?

Thanks

01-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry I am not sure that I phrased the question right..
Basically to be more specific I am asking on an expansive lens ... filter or no filter.

thanks again
01-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There's always discussion about lens protection. Some people like to use a hood only and some use UV filters. Whether using UV filters degrade quality is always up to debate. Some like to use high quality filters to lessen image degradation. Some have used cheap ones and say they don't notice any image quality difference between a high quality one and a cheap one. I'd assume 99% of the time, all you probably need is the hood to protect the front element. But accidents can happen and it's easier on the wallet to replace a filter than a lens.

Personally, I always slap on a B+W MRC UV filter on my lenses but that's just personal preference and lets me sleep better at night
01-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I never use UV filters on any of my glass. I do use a hood 100% of the time though, which has saved the front element from getting bumped/nicked a few times.

I saw a test recently comparing no filter vs cheap filter vs multi coated expensive filter, and while the two filters showed significantly different flare resistance, there was still a noticeable difference between the expensive filter and the lens alone.

01-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so the 31mm have its built in hood, but its small and I am not sure it will protect my lens. I read on line about using clear filter frames the make the hood more effective. is that make sense to you guys?
01-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, I hate doing it, but I have filters on my 3 Amigos and my Viv 105/2.5, they are just to valuable to me to take a chance on some wayward accident.
01-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Damn Brit

You could buy a soft hood that will fit over the hood and lens if you are worried. The potential for damage is when you are not actually taking pictures with the camera.
I used to use filters but I don't any more.

01-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

as a poor uni student, i put filters on anything i can.... id just rather not risk it given my limited budget...
01-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I use reasonable care and no filters.
01-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This filter was mounted on my FA 77 LTD when it slipped out of my hands and fell onto the pavement. I had to remove it with a pliers but the lens was not damaged.

Need I say that I continue to use filters on all my lenses?

Last edited by Toshi; 01-21-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Fixed image link
01-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you shoot in a dusty environment, a 100% clear filter (not UV) may be a good idea...something a lens hood will do you no good. This will at least keep the lens glass itself clean and at the end of the shoot, or end of the day, you can simply properly clean the filter, and use it again.

Jason
01-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote

Need I say that I continue to use filters on all my lenses?
Same here, I use filters on all my lenses except the two macros lenses (A50/2.8 and A100/2.8). To me I can't tell any IQ loss at all, and I'd rather play w/ peace of mind
01-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
as a poor uni student, i put filters on anything i can.... id just rather not risk it given my limited budget...
Here's the ultimate in cheap protection: collect busted/scratched/screwed filters and take the glass out of them, and put the metal rings on the end of your lenses. It'll "protect" from an accident the same way a regular filter will, it just doesn't protect from dust.

To be honest, I use most of my lenses naked, including my Takumar lenses. There are few filters out there of sufficient grade as to not degrade the image transferred to the lens, and I'm not prepared to pay for the ones that do exist. I use my lens cap *religiously* when I'm out shooting, for two reasons: conservation of battery, and protection of the lens. The lens cap is supposed to protect the lens, that's why lenses have always come with them. Convincing the general populace that they "must" have a filter to protect their lenses was merely a retail trick to increase add-on sales, and it's continued to work well to this day because the majority of people putting the cash up to buy this equipment are scared of losing it.

I haven't done the no-glass filter trick yet, but I might consider it.
01-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
Here's the ultimate in cheap protection: collect busted/scratched/screwed filters and take the glass out of them, and put the metal rings on the end of your lenses. It'll "protect" from an accident the same way a regular filter will, it just doesn't protect from dust.
I have done this, but for a CZJ 35/2.4 that I bought cheap because the filter ring was mangled. Now I have a usable filter ring (which is always used for a screw-in hood and sometimes for a polariser) on that lens.

QuoteQuote:
To be honest, I use most of my lenses naked, including my Takumar lenses. There are few filters out there of sufficient grade as to not degrade the image transferred to the lens, and I'm not prepared to pay for the ones that do exist.
Me too. The only filter I use is a polariser.

QuoteQuote:
I use my lens cap *religiously* when I'm out shooting, for two reasons: conservation of battery, and protection of the lens.
I find that the caps can be a pain when out shooting, and push-on caps (particularly the ones on Takumars) can fall off and get lost. Typically I replace my caps with cheap plastic clip-on caps before I leave home, and then when I am out I always use a hood on the lens I am using. The cap is in my bag (hopefully).

But I am interested why you say that the cap converses the battery.

Richard
01-22-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
I use my lens cap *religiously* when I'm out shooting, for two reasons: conservation of battery, and protection of the lens. The lens cap is supposed to protect the lens, that's why lenses have always come with them.
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
But I am interested why you say that the cap converses the battery.
I'm assuming he's talking about using his Spotmatic F, which meters, and hence uses battery life, when the lens cap is removed.