Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pre-Moistened Lens Wipes. Safe?

Hey All,
At Walgreens, I came across a package of pre-moistened eyeglass wipes... 30 for $3.99, the package says they are safe for camera lenses too. I know that if you add "photographic" to a common item, the price can skyrocket (remembering the days of photo paper cutters that use to cost a lot more than an office paper cutter would for essentially the same thing. Has anyone used these and can they cause any long term damage. I trust them on eyeglasses but on lenses $300 or more, I don't want to risk it.

Thanks
Barry

01-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My non-professional opinion: They're safe. At least I hope they are, because I use them from time to time when a lens gets fingerprints and/or smudges. For dust I just use the blower.
01-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Probably safe, in my opinion. But use with care, because ANYTHING you touch to a lens, no matter how soft, can drag around abrasive bits of grunge. And that goes for wipes, lens pens, soft-bristle brushes, or whatever.

Start with the blower!
01-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Check the ingredients. If they have ammonia, then they are unsafe for optical coatings. If they have alcohol, then they potentially could harm some optical coatings. You might want to look into something like Purosol.

01-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
So many different opinions, they do have a faint smell of alcohol to them and that's what had me worried, I'm only using them now to clean the LCD of smudges for which it does a great job

Barry
01-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, if it contains any alcohol, thinner, benzine, or any other organic solvent, don't use it (all my lens manuals state this.) The specialized optical coating on lenses can be ruined over time.
01-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
As mentioned above, if it contains any alcohol, thinner, benzine, or any other organic solvent, don't use it (all my lens manuals state this.) The specialized optical coating on lenses can be ruined over time.
then what lens cleaners would you recommend and where do you get it from?

01-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Check Amazon.com for Purosol for optical lenses. You can use it with Kim-wipes or a microfiber cloth.
01-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
then what lens cleaners would you recommend and where do you get it from?
I use a blower to get all potential dust off the lens first. Then I use a Lenspen brush to gently brush the surface. If there's any smudges after that, I use my breath and a high quality microfiber cloth and gently wipe. I use the backend of the Lenspen sometimes as well. If you want to use liquid cleaners, I'd use camera lens specific ones like Eclipse. They can all be found online.
01-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey All,
At Walgreens, I came across a package of pre-moistened eyeglass wipes... 30 for $3.99, the package says they are safe for camera lenses too. I know that if you add "photographic" to a common item, the price can skyrocket (remembering the days of photo paper cutters that use to cost a lot more than an office paper cutter would for essentially the same thing. Has anyone used these and can they cause any long term damage. I trust them on eyeglasses but on lenses $300 or more, I don't want to risk it.

Thanks
Barry
The wet wipes I've seen contain isopropyl alcohol, which is perfectly safe for lens coatings. One thing to remember is that eyeglass lenses are much more fragile than camera lenses, so in general what is safe for cleaning your glasses will be safe for your camera lens.
With that in mind, I bought a package of Zeiss wet wipes from our local Wal-Mart optical kiosk. I found that they work well for cleaning off smudges, but they do leave a residue which has to subsequently be removed with a dry wipe and breath (I use old cotton shirt material for this).
01-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
found this info 'bout zeiss wipes....

These Zeiss wipes are 5" X 6" pre-moistened, individually wrapped lens cloths. They are a good, quick way to clean lenses. These wipes contain isopropyl alcohol to safely and effectively clean without leaving streaks or residue.

Lenses stay cleaner longer and are resistant to static. The nonabrasive cloths are designed for anytime, anywhere one-time use.

Excellent for prescription eyeglasses, sun and sport lenses, scopes and binoculars, camera lens, safety and sports goggles. Ok for occasional use for computer screens. Keep several on hand in your car, at work, at home or school.

i've used these for quite a while for my prescriptive eyeglasses, great with no streaking/residue....
BUT, on camera lenses, they have a tendency to leave a residue, easily removed with a microfiber type cloth...
also, picked up a small giottos blower..... best thing i've bought in years....
01-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #12

Hi, new to pentaxforums.com For all of my lenses I use this set of wet-dry
cleaners: GREEN CLEAN LENS CLEANER

They are safe and leave no marks on lens surface. And they are cheap too.
01-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Is "Green clean" available on line?