Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another 'which lens' question.. Buying in Hong Kong

Hey guys off to Hong Kong tomorrow from mainland China and looking to buy my first prime/second lens. My DA 18-250 that i bought with my 200D is just not cutting it any more and is simply just too slow and horrific in low light conditions, not to mention quite heavy!

My interest is in street photography and I do alot of off the hip candids and would prefer something lower than 40mm. My heart was absolutely set on the DA 40mm for the price and speed but i'm not sure the FOV is what i want now. After some research have narrowed it down to a few.. I'd love a FA 31mm F1.8 Ltd but it is a little out of my price range.

DA 21mm F3.2 Ltd
DA 35mm F2.8 Macro
DA 35mm F2

Have also considered the FA 20mm F2.8.. could not source a street price for this one but i'd imagine it would be quite inexpensive, but possibly hard to find.

Any opinions welcome and if anyone knows any places stocked up with Pentax goods in Hong Kong please let me know!

01-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

New evidence, that there is something missing here.... A DA 28 would be nice, eh?

I vote for DA 35 macro. It is a fantastic lens.
01-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
New evidence, that there is something missing here.... A DA 28 would be nice, eh?

I vote for DA 35 macro. It is a fantastic lens.
+1 for the DA 35 Ltd Macro...it's my favorite lens. Another option is the FA 43.
01-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I wanted a shorter prime to give me a more 'normal' FOV on my K10D than my F50/1.7, and out of the choices of the DA 35mm F2.8, FA 31mm F1.8 and FA 35mm F2, I chose the FA 35mm F2 because I wouldn't have needed the macro features of the DA 35, and it was to me, the best value for money. If money wasn't a problem, I would've gone for the FA 31mm for sure.

For shops, check out either Wing Shing (永城) or Man Shing (萬城) (same business, but different names). Not necessarily the cheapest prices, but the stores are easy to find. There's three locations, all within walking distance to one another:

91 Fa Yuen Street
106 Tung Choi Street
55 Sai Yeung Choi St (Check out their website for more details: ??/??????????)

There's plenty of other photo stores that stock Pentax gear, in fact, pretty much all of the stores I saw had at least a small sample of Pentax stuff to choose from, even including the big chain stores like Fortress, Broadway and Citycall.

For latest prices, check out this site: Pentax Price List (Editgrid) | ???

One more thing, HK is awesome for street photography.

01-22-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For shooting by the hip, go wide. Get the 21 and push your ISO up. Street photography can be awesome with some grain in there
01-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Other options...

I'd look at the Tamron 17-50/2.8 for a fast zoom with wide angle, or the FA 35/2 for a cheaper alternative to the ones you listed, and still a fantastic and fast lens.

Jason