Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Mount Adapter K vs Chinese Mount Adapter

So a couple weeks back i started bidding on lenses on ebay and figuring that ill get a M42 screwmount lens eventually, i bought a cheapo "Camera Adapter Ring" from Hong Kong on ebay. But during then and now i read about the pro's of getting the genuine pentax adapter, and opted to order one in.

Conveniently, i got both of them in the mail today.

I knew the made-in-china adapter was different but man is it cheap. They put on the product page that it is proudly made out of metal instead of plastic, but it feels like they're made from recycled soda cans.

Meanwhile, the Pentax Mount Adapter K feels like it would really really hurt if it was thrown at you.

I havent tried putting the made-in-china adapter onto the body of my K20D yet.. cause well, im afraid of doing so from all the previous stories ive heard (and why would I have to?)

Anyway, here's some obligatory photos to compare them visually. Hopefully people will find this post useful.

I also defiled my Soligor by putting the Massa brand adapter onto it >_>

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

you'll loose infinity focus with that chinese mount adapter - it's flanged, it pushes a lens a millimeter or so forward, thus messing up focus distance.
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elkarrde Quote
you'll loose infinity focus with that chinese mount adapter - it's flanged, it pushes a lens a millimeter or so forward, thus messing up focus distance.
You could use it on a lens dedicated to macro work; if there's a 1mm error on a 100mm lens the farthest focus you'll achieve is 10meters*.

You might want to save the flanged adapter to use as a replacement for a whole lens flange (like remove the flange from a nikon F lens & replace it with the m42 flanged adapter.)

Or maybe discard it; your statement about it's being flimsy implies it is made of aluminum so wouldn't be as nice to machine as brass.

Dave

*focus_distance=focal_length(focal_length+error)/error
01-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

hey aren't even the same adapters. There are chinese adapters that look just like the pentax one you have...

01-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
hey aren't even the same adapters. There are chinese adapters that look just like the pentax one you have...
Yea, i know... but the chinese one there is the one predominently found on ebay... like, they're a plague of ebay... so figured it might be handy for (some) people to see the (drastic) difference between the two
01-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

hi guys- not my @bay auction BUT there are two available - check out auction number 110331534487
for sale at about 30 Euros

am sure these are the real deal in K adaptors
01-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, that's the real one.
01-23-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vylen--never buy the flanged adapter. There is another adapter @ Ebay which looks very close to the Pentax one and allows infinity focus. You can get one for $10. I have one and it works great. I think the Bower for Pentax model is best.

The first advice on buying adapters for m42 to K-mount on Ebay is ner buy the flanged adapter.