Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax FA 80-320mm - loose front barrel

Hi Folks

The above lens is notorious for having a loose front barrel - mine is prime example!

So, does anyone know of any disassembly/repair/reassembly info as no local repairer wants to touch it, and it's not worth sending it away for repair (even if I could find someone to do it)?

Thanks in advance.

John

01-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how loose is it--how much play is there? Does it affect image quality?
01-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
how loose is it--how much play is there? Does it affect image quality?
So loose that it is uncomfortable to use, and that means I have little confidence in it!

Put it this way, I did a real (but recoverable) "bodge" by putting strips of (very expensive!) white self-adhesive PTFE tape along the full length of the exposed barrel around about 75% of the circumference - and that stopped most of the slop, but the stuff is >0.5mm thick and looks so awful that I could never face using it in public!

As for IQ, I stopped using it several years ago, and I have'nt used it on my GX10, for this reason so I can't recall how good it was (but never hugely good at the long end as I remember).

As it stands, I don't want to use it and I doubt that anyone would buy it (without then rejecting it) even on ebay!

So I appear to have a "fix it or chuck it away" situation.

John
01-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Mine had a problem with the A setting not functioning. I sent it to KEH for repair of that problem and it came back to me with the "zoom creep" eliminated as well. Don't know if yours is fixable but I was happy with the results on mine.

01-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by billhardie Quote
Mine had a problem with the A setting not functioning. I sent it to KEH for repair of that problem and it came back to me with the "zoom creep" eliminated as well. Don't know if yours is fixable but I was happy with the results on mine.
So, it must be fixable!

Unfortunately, KEH (who ever they are) are in the US - and I am in the UK, so that specifically is not an option, and I have yet to find someone in the UK who can do the job.

Just have to keep looking (unless someone has any further ideas on how to do the job?).

John