Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 to PK Question

I have a genuine Pentax M42 to PK adapter. The instructions state to mount the adapter to the camera and then mount the screw in lens. Are you M42 guys doing it this way or are you mounting the adapter to the lens and then using it as a PK mount lens? I also understand that it's best to remove the clip from the adapter?

01-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The instructions state to mount the adapter to the camera and then mount the screw in lens. Are you M42 guys doing it this way?
Yes

I also understand that it's best to remove the clip from the adapter?
I did not. My understanding is that removing the clip is an option on third party adapters. I will no longer use them (I have a Bower) but others have reported NO problems.

You might try using search option. There have been a lot of threads on this subject.
01-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Igilligan

I have a genuine Pentax M42 to PK adapter. The instructions state to mount the adapter to the camera and then mount the screw in lens. Are you M42 guys doing it this way or are you mounting the adapter to the lens and then using it as a PK mount lens? I also understand that it's best to remove the clip from the adapter?
I do it the other way... for me it is just faster... I did not know there were instructions saying to do it the other way. But once it is in the camera then if I am switching between M42 lenses then I leave it in and screw away....

I have one adaptor with the clip removed (used -came that way) and 1 with the clip in. For lighter weight smaller primes with easy/smooth focus rings, I use the clipless one. For some of the bigger ones and for any with stiffer focus rings I use the one with the clip... you can spin the adaptor right off if it is not locked in.

If I had only one, it would have the clip in.....

Last edited by Igilligan; 01-23-2009 at 11:14 PM.
01-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm running 2 adaptors like Igilligan, one with the clip and one without it for small lenses or anything I want to take on and off the camera quickly. Some of my lenses (especially the longer ones) are virtually impossible to mount unless the adaptor is put on the lens first.

Longer term I want to pick up a couple more adaptors to convert several lenses semi permanently to K by drilling them for a k-mount locking pin (there are threads on how to do it here on the forum).

01-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Steinback: Longer term I want to pick up a couple more adaptors to convert several lenses semi permanently to K by drilling them for a k-mount locking pin (there are threads on how to do it here on the forum).
QuoteQuote:
wtlwdwgn I also understand that it's best to remove the clip from the adapter?
If you opt to convert the Tak to K-mount with an adapter, then it is a good idea to remove the locking clip since the lens will then be held in place the standard K-mount way.

I have not done the conversion yet, but plan to. I use a Bower to Pentax adapter and keep it screwed onto the M42 so it is ready to go when it is needed.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-23-2009 at 11:02 PM.
01-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I usually leave the adapter screwed onto my Jupiter-9. When I want to use it, I just mount it as if it were any other k-mount lens. I find this way handier than fitting the adapter into the body. This is especially true with a heavy lens such as the J-9. Removal is a bit of a chore though.

I have not removed the spring clip.

Steve
01-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

@Jewelltrail: I probably should have pointed that out in my post, I agree that doing something like using a thread locking compound to mate an adaptor to a lens and then mounting the assembly to a body without removing the locking clip on the adaptor first would be a very bad idea.

There is a small enough amount of friction between the body and the lens mount during lens installation and removal that permanently attaching an adaptor to a lens is unnecessary, as just the mating force between the threads seems to be enough to keep the adaptor pretty securely attached to a lens unless you make a conscious effort to separate them.
01-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Steinback @Jewelltrail: I probably should have pointed that out in my post, I agree that doing something like using a thread locking compound to mate an adaptor to a lens and then mounting the assembly to a body without removing the locking clip on the adaptor first would be a very bad idea.
To be honest, I did not know about the thread locking part of the equation until this post of yours. I would avoid the locktite idea if you can. I used it for years as a Heavy-Equipment mechanic and it is typically only reversed with oxygen/acetyline torches--not something the lens could handle should you, for any reason, opt later to undue the conversion.

There are other, less permanent compounds which would do the trick nicely.

01-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

@Jewelltrail The total extent of what I'm intending to do to any lens I convert is drill a hole in the lens that lines up with the locking pin on the k mount. Anything more would be overkill, the pentax m42 to k adaptors (minus their locking tab) stay screwed onto the lens on their own perfectly well without any extra help, even after repeatedly mounting and removing the lens from a body.
01-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
@Jewelltrail The total extent of what I'm intending to do to any lens I convert is drill a hole in the lens that lines up with the locking pin on the k mount. Anything more would be overkill, the pentax m42 to k adaptors (minus their locking tab) stay screwed onto the lens on their own perfectly well without any extra help, even after repeatedly mounting and removing the lens from a body.
I found it difficult to drill the locking pin recess & much easier to cut a slot using a small file or slot mill on a high speed Dremel-like tool.

I've converted at least 4 lenses & have found a friction fit of the adapter to the lens sufficient.

Dave
01-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i always mounting it on lens first, then tighten it on the camera body along with the lens.

--
01-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help. I'll unscrew the clip and mount the adapter to the lens. It makes more sense unless all you have are M42 lenses.
01-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I found it difficult to drill the locking pin recess & much easier to cut a slot using a small file or slot mill on a high speed Dremel-like tool.

It is important that the edges of the slot be sharp so the locking pin can't climb out.

Dave
PS you may also want to sand some paint off the m42's base to short the mount's electrical contacts.
01-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Steinback:@Jewelltrail The total extent of what I'm intending to do to any lens I convert is drill a hole in the lens that lines up with the locking pin on the k mount. Anything more would be overkill, the pentax m42 to k adaptors (minus their locking tab) stay screwed onto the lens on their own perfectly well without any extra help, even after repeatedly mounting and removing the lens from a body.
I neither use nor recommend using any "thread locking compound" to keep the m42 lens connected to the adapter. You introduced the "thread locking compound" into the discussion in your 2nd post here--please see above. I think you have misread some of this post.

Please re-read this thread, carefully--thanks.