Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok here goes...

I have been racking my brain the last couple of weeks trying to work out what lenses to get. (so much reading and peeping)

I already have the 16-45, it came with the k20.

It seems a good zoom, a bit slow and i have no attachment to keeping it.

I shoot zoom strictly for convenience(when a best quality result isnt an imperative). I had the 17-50 2.8 tammy on my Canon and it was great for the money. If anybody knows of a better lens in its class i would like to hear about it. I have read a thread where a guy sold his Pentax Fa equiv because the tammy was sharper.

Its all about sharpness, max light and IQ for me, i am meticulous with my gear and will adapt to any nuances such as front focus ring or crappy lens caps...

Most importantly are the primes, as much as i would like to shoot bands and clubs with zooms, based on my experience with my 17-50 Tammy vs canon 85mm 1.8 the Canon was incredible (so much so i have kept it for my FF studio work). Its faster and sharper. It was suggested the pentax 50-135 is prime sharp, i looked at one set of shots and the canon prime would eat it as i assume the Pentax 85 or 77 ltd would do also. (?) Perhaps ISO Noise will be notably less on a k20 permitting the zoom f2.8..?

Now on the crop k20 the Pentax 85 is too long for studio work (tall models) so im thinking the 43 will be the studio boy, problem is it is soft wide open and shooting bands and clubs means around f2 or less most of the time.(at least on the canon)

So how does the 1.4 50mm compare in IQ to the 43mm in studio conditions? Is it just as soft wide as the 43mm? Will the 55mm be superior? Alternatives?

I was pretty happy with the canon low light focussing with primes, so much so i would be hesitant to leave the convenience/speed/flexibility of auto focus. Can the same be said for the Pentax? (i as yet have not shot fast prime in the dark with it, the f4 zoom struggled as expected)

I picked up a sigma 30mm 1.4 based on reviewed sharpness wide open, it arrived today and ive not yet shot it. I hope it is better than the canon 28mm at 1.8...

If there is a better 'wide open wide' even if it is a zoom i would like to know, this isnt a huge concern though as i doubt i will use this length on crunch shots. (unless it proves to be an awesome lens)

If you are still awake/here at this point thanks for hanging in there, i value your familiarity with this brand and extend my gratitude.

Thanks in Advance!

01-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've only had my FA 43/1.9 for a very short time and have only taken a few snapshots to see how it can perform (nothing worth posting) but, at least to my eyes so far, it is hardly soft wide open.
Ok, I just set up real quick and took this shot:

A crop of the above:

FA 43mm Limited f1.9@ f1.9 1/60 sec
01-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
wow thats cool thanks Mr rapids
01-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A quick look at photozone.de shows the following:

Center MTF.......f1.4......f2/1.9.........f2.8
FA 50 1.4.........1600.....1850..........2050
FA 43 1.9L.........n/a......1750..........2300

01-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of test shots with FA 43mm at F1.9.

01-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds like you many need to wait to see how the DA*55 performs, it could be the ideal lens for your needs. In the meantime, you can pick up an FA50/1.4 pretty cheap, and as long as you don't go below f2.0 it might do the trick. Also check out the FA50/1.7, it's supposedly better wide open than the 1.4, and can be bought for even less. You can usually find one at KEH.
01-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you ordered yours yet quenched?:-)

01-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Might start with a 1.7 for bands, it seems it will be sharpest up to f2 and slightly beyond, the quicker focussing will be handy too.

Good chance the 43 will be acquired for the studio, unless the 55mm produces phenomenal results... I would prefer the FF potential of the 43, The company who would be king....

Thank you everybody.