Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

M42 lens adapter question & KA mount

If I use a M42 lens with a K-mount adapter on a K-mount camera do I lose any quality compared to using the M42 lens on a camera that has a M42 mount?

I found someone selling an used Voigtlander SL 90mm in a M42 mount. I'm wondering if it was worth buying that compared to buying the same lens in the KA mount, which are still available new.

Thanks

01-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #2

Hello,

In no way the adapter will affect the quality of the pictures ... Just be sure to buy an original Pentax adapter, which has a much better built quality than the third-party ones ...
And if you are able to get the Lanthar 90 at a fair price, don't hesitate, it is a wonderful lens ...

Best regards
01-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes excatly. Make sure you get an original Pentax version of the adapter. The lens will work fine with no IQ loss.
01-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I second only using the genuine Pentax adapter. I've been using the Pentax adapter and it is very well made. when trying to get a second one, I got a Bower by mistake because it was photographed upside down with no mention of it being a Bower and am sending it back because it is a dog to get off. The adapter should not require a crow bar to get off.

01-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If you intend to leave the adapter on the lens then a no-name adapter without a flange is sufficient. I've used a few from Adorama ($12.95) in that mode with no difficulties.

These lens-less adpaters cause no image quality change.

I think the intense opposition to non-pentax adapters arises from those who don't leave the adapter on the lens. I've chosen to leave an adapter on each of my m42 lenses.

Last edited by newarts; 01-24-2009 at 11:48 AM.
01-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

remember, flanged adaptors may cause some lenses to not focus to infinity
01-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
remember, flanged adaptors may cause some lenses to not focus to infinity
What does a flanged adapter mean? As long as I get the official Pentax one, I am fine right?
01-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
What does a flanged adapter mean? As long as I get the official Pentax one, I am fine right?
Some cheap adapters have a wide flange that fits between the lens and the lens mount face on the body. The presence of this extra thickness makes infinity focus impossible. The pentax adapter is designed to fit fully inside the k-mount opening such that the lens is flush against the face of the mount on the body.

Steve

(Easier to see than to explain...)

01-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
re Pentax M42 ADAPTERS

check ot

Item number: 110331534487 on ebay- its not my item or sale- i have bought one and they appear to be the real deal

n.b.
it's a German ebay site
01-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Here a local ebay item number for the original version of the M42 adapter made by Pentax

enjoy that lens
01-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #11

Some third party adapters will do nicely, others won't. I have two different models, one does work and the other one doesn't fit properly on the mount. (The one that works is a 'Kood')

I use both of them with the spring unscrewed and leave the adapters on the lenses, so they basically turn into K-mount (of course, 'K type' lenses, no 'A' function).

Be sure that the lens you want to use it with is flat at the bottom (most are), otherwise it might literally drop out of the camera, if the spring is not in place.

I have this lens which is conical at the bottom and it almost fell off once (with an adapter missing the spring):
Meyer-Orestegor 200mm f/4-22 zebra | Weight, Min, Very, Focal, Pictures | Manual Focus Lenses
01-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
newarts
If you intend to leave the adapter on the lens then a no-name adapter without a flange is sufficient. I've used a few from Adorama ($12.95) in that mode with no difficulties.

These lens-less adpaters cause no image quality change.

I think the opposition to non-Pentax adapters arises from those who don't leave the adapter on the lens. I've chosen to leave an adapter on each of my m42 lenses.
I second what newarts reports here. I successfully use non-Pentax adapters, but I too leave them on the lens. I also think the reason why non-Pentax adapters are frowned upon is based largely on people who mistakingly pick up the flanged adapters.
01-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
Just to follow up Steve's post, The flanged adapter looks like the one below. They have their place for things like a bellows or using extension tubes.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 495
Size:  15.4 KB
01-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Peter Zack: Just to follow up Steve's post, The flanged adapter looks like the one below. They have their place for things like a bellows or using extension tubes.
Thanks Peter for pointing out the utility of flanged adapters. The flanged adapters only cause a problem when the are mistakenly bought as a viable option for M42. I agree they have a proper place when used in macro work.

Plenty of people bought the flanged adpater from Ebay, only to be disapointed when they could not achieve infinity focus on their M42 lens. I believe that this experience then led to a negative report concerning all Ebay M42 adapters. Reports are out that only Pentax adapters will do the job properly. This is silly because I use eBay purchased M42 adapters which work great--no problems at all.
01-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Thanks Peter for pointing out the utility of flanged adapters. The flanged adapters only cause a problem when the are mistakenly bought as a viable option for M42. I agree they have a proper place when used in macro work.

Plenty of people bought the flanged adpater from Ebay, only to be disapointed when they could not achieve infinity focus on their M42 lens. I believe that this experience then led to a negative report concerning all Ebay M42 adapters. Reports are out that only Pentax adapters will do the job properly. This is silly because I use eBay purchased M42 adapters which work great--no problems at all.
Just to clarify, the Bower can be difficult to get off of the body even with the supplied crow bar. That is based on personal experience.