Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax M 40-80

I don't see these very often. How uncommon are they? Check out these sales on Ebay. I was watching but did not bid. Seems like a good deal.

This one is obvious:

SMC Pentax M 40-80mm f/2.8-4 Macro Zoom Lens K Mount - eBay (item 260348055080 end time Jan-24-09 12:30:00 PST)

This one I found: If the lenses are clean, someone got a deal. You have to look REAL CLOSE.

Pentax ME Super 35 mm SLR Camera w/ Many Accessories - eBay (item 200300088423 end time Jan-24-09 12:50:31 PST)

Not my auctions. They are closed, anyway.

Maybe someone from here got them?

01-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #2

Original Poster
No one has one of these???
01-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Not known to be a stellar performer unfortunately.
01-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought one a while back just because I'd never seen one before and wanted to add it to my M-series lenses. This winter has been brutal and I haven't had much chance to use it. I've also picked up a 77ltd and a 43ltd and have spent more time primarily with them. I knew the 40-80 wasn't the most sought after lens out there when I bought it. The first shots I took with it were at iso 1600 because I forgot I had set the iso that high before, didn't check and the resulting pics with the 40-80 were noisy, not giving it a fair chance. The last time I checked our lens database there were no reviews of the lens and if I can ever get out on a halfway decent day to use the 40-80 I intend to give the lens a write up. From what I've seen so far it's not a bad lens, but I just don't know yet how good it is. LBA has hit hard this winter and I'll tell ya I've got a terrible case of cabin fever going on out here.

01-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
No big loss, then I guess. I'll take one if it is cheap enough.
01-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey Guys, I recently sold one of these in the marketplace and took a few snapshots (indoors, so maybe not the best tests) to show the purchaser. It actually seems to be a decent lens, and f/2.8 and f/4 are decent speeds. Not the fastest around but OK in my opinion. It would also seem to be a pretty good focal length range for portraiture, and should be fast enough to get the background pleasantly blurred but still recognizable if desired. It goes down to 1:4 (25%) macro, which won't get you where a true macro lens can take you but does fine for flowers, plants, product shots, etc. The macro functionality is a push-pull of the focus ring once the zoom ring is turned all the way past 80mm mark into macro mode.

Here's a link to the set of the few pictures I took. Hope it helps some.

SMC Pentax-M 40-80/2.8-4 Test Shots - a set on Flickr
02-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Thanks arpaagent!! I just won an auction for one of these for a whole $19.50. From the looks of your pics, it is going to do exactly what i need it to do. I was looking for a small walk around lens, with modest macro capability to use with my 5x-zn film camera . As I'll be using it mostly on the river when fishing/kayaking, I needed a lens I didn't care much about harming. If the one I won is a good copy, I am going to be pleased as punch.