Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I wish mine were silver...

01-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Funny how people have different tastes.

My 43mm is silver (bought way back when there was only the 43mm and only in silver) to match my MZ-3 (killer combination, btw).

Since moving to the black DSLR bodies, I sometimes think it is a bit of an odd combination but seeing Frank's 3 silver all lined up in a row, there is something to be said about the silver trio.

And as Roentarre mentioned, it can be slightly cheaper to get the silver versions for whatever reason.
01-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Silver on a black body would be an interesting combo. I wasn't exactly in the market for a limited lens but someone is offering me a fairly decent deal and I heard that the limited lenses will be going up in price soon. I think I'm starting to develop LBA...
01-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pinp my PENTAX...

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

I used to like the black ones. But after I seeing some slight paint loss... I changed all to silver ones
I'd go to silver, too... just for the color coded leather bags. Totally BOSS...

Cheers...

01-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I'd go to silver, too... just for the color coded leather bags. Totally BOSS...

Cheers...
Do the silver ones always come with the color coded bags?
01-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #21

all black
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #22
Inactive Account

if you want to draw as little attention as possible to yourself while taking pictures or want that harmonious look with black dslr body, i'd suggest you'd get black.

with that said, i personally own silver 77mm and 43mm; they simply look gorgeous. also going along with pentax's "be different" motto, silver limited truly are unique; you see black lenses everywhere but not the silver ones!

silver on black body does not bother me at all, but i believe this is a personal thing and some may be bothered by it.

here is an image i found in one of korean pentax forums, which shows one lucky guy with beautiful set of pentax silver lenses. makes me so jealous

Name:  silall.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  39.8 KB

01-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Go with the silver lenses, black lens caps, and the new white body...
01-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Note that the silver limiteds do not use the same finish as the FA* silver lenses. The FA* silver is quite soft and scratches very easily--love the look, but my lenses look well-used. The finish on the limiteds is much more durable. Anyone know if it is actually the color of the aluminum with no finish or if it is an added finish?

Also, a fellow posting a year ago made a distinction between 3 different versions of one of the limiteds. Can't recall for sure whether it was the 77 or the 43. He could tell a bit by which color lens bag it came with. The differences in the versions was not the optical formula, but something more esoteric like the points of attachment of the moveable focusing elements or something like that.

Also note that when the limiteds were initially released, they were only available in silver. It was probably 5 years after the release of the first one--the 43--that the black versions came out. I know this from experience as I purchased each of the initial limiteds--43, 77 and 31 as soon as they were in stock at a major retailer. Black was not an option until after I had all three. Since my kit is filled with silver FA* lenses, the silver limiteds work fine for me.
01-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Mine came with the brown bag; neat to see the other colors though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Do the silver ones always come with the color coded bags?
01-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, I recognize the 43, 77 and 31's in the picture. Does the second lens from the left say SMC Pentax A? That's before it says 55/1.2? Do I read that correctly?
01-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait, look...the 43 on the left has a silver ringed skylight filter. Mine all have "real" SMC Pentax filters but all with black rings. Where does a person go to spend a million dollars to buy silver SMC Pentax filters?
01-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

that's the 50mm 1.2 built to limited standards, a specially made for the Pentax LX 2000
01-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've heard about that lens but never seen one. Very cool. I suppose it's time to refinance the house so I can have one...

BTW, if a photog matches a silver limited to a black DSLR but shoots in the woods and is never seen by other humans, does it still look mismatched? What if a tree falls on it?
01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need to call my sponsor. I'm having another LBA attack. If he's not home, I might have to rob a bank. Sold all three of these to cure my LBA and the tempation is still there.

The 50mm is a sweet looking lens.