Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #1

Sigma 30mm f1.4

Hi

This is my first posting, anyone out there with the above lens? I bought one about a year ago, it's generally been very good, way better than the photozone review of it suggests. Some times it struggles with AF on similar toned objects (due to wide aperture?), which can be frustrating. It's bokeh is excellent and the limited DOF is refreshing. What do you think about it?

Mr J

01-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have it but I like it. Unless you pixel-peep (if so, why?) or print HUGE, you won't really be able to tell how sharp it is etc compared to others.
01-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 30mm F1.4 EX DC
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use one on my Olympus DSLR, in which case it behaves like a slightly longer lens, but it's still may favorite lens and the one on my camera most of the time. It's spectacularly sharp in the center stopped down to f2 and past, and I find the edge performance perfectly fine for landscapes stopped down to normal landscape apertures (admittedly, the smaller 4/3 sensor uses less of the edges). I also find that I really like the colors it gives and that it lends photos a certain sort of "peaceful" feeling. I'm not sure how a lens can instill a photo with that sort of feeling, but it does.

01-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not full frame.
Since I think APS-C is only a transition period, that's the main disadvantage.
Good center sharpness, but quite curved field.
Very large.

Perhaps Pentax halted the DA30 to reconsider its FF capabilities?