Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #46

Steve, I often use the chest straps as well. My cameras/lenses have also seen plenty of the 'elements' over the years, and they hold up quite well. I tend to not sell a lot of my stuff used... because it gets quite 'used'.

I think I change my carrying setup every year, always trying to perfect it. I'm still not satisfied with it, but it gets closer with each trip.

Your comments (and photos) relating to the 16-45 tempt me even more. And, I agree with you that it's usually me, and not the lens, that ruins the picture.

01-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find ample opportunities to use the Tamron 17-50 wide open on trail, but then I am on it very often. For example, I would have struggled to get this shot, @ 100 iso, without the relatively fast f2.8 capabilities of the Tammy:

f 2.8--50mm--1/25th--ISO 100 Spot Metering on the Bird

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 09-25-2009 at 08:59 AM.
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #48

Okay, I finally gave in to temptation after being involved with this post... my 16-45 arrives next week. For only $250 (for such a highly-regarded lens) it seemed like a low-risk purchase. Hopefully it will be perfect for some of my landscape needs.

I'm blaming everybody here.

Last edited by wildboar; 02-04-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
05-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #49

revival

Hey wildboar, how's the 16-45 working for you? How do you carry it?

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
Okay, I finally gave in to temptation after being involved with this post... my 16-45 arrives next week. For only $250 (for such a highly-regarded lens) it seemed like a low-risk purchase. Hopefully it will be perfect for some of my landscape needs.

I'm blaming everybody here.

05-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't had an SLR for a few years, but now I'm recently back into the fold with a K-10. While I don't backpack anymore (yet) I do get into the parks a lot. This includes the very cold days up here in Chicago with our huskies. Last year I bought an Olympus 850SW, which is a great little rugged camera. If you expect to be in areas where you might take a spill or get soaked or frozen you could do worse. The old Sony P&S would freeze up if the temperature got much below 20F. The Olympus did fine down to around 0-5F, though some of the time it was in my jacket pocket.

No, it doesn't have the abilities of a SLR or a good videocamera if you want video, but you can rest assured dropping the thing won't hurt it and you can dunk it in the stream or lake to take pictures of fish.

I'm looking foward to getting out with the 16-45 or the Tammy 70-300 I've got. The old Sears 80-200 manual focus has a very nice feel to it, I just need to get better at using the settings. It has the P functions though.

Personally, when in the field I'm always looking for insects and other critters, so I'm probably going to tote along the FA 100mm macro. I do this on dog walkies and it does a very good job picking up various critters, the center-focus works better than I expected. I'm sure I'll pick up a smaller prime, but want to learn the limitations of the 16-45mm zoom first.

This post has been quite useful, thanks.
05-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #51
Veteran Member

What an informative thread!

I was wondering about what ELSE to pack for my trip to TN for the memorial day weekend where I will be going up the smokeys for a day or two, besides by 16-45 and 55-300mm plus a 50mm prime.

I've come to the conclusion these three should be plenty!