Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Recommendation for 49mm CPL

Hi,

for those who use a CPL on their FA 50mm, FA 35mm, or DA limited lenses (all have 49mm threads): which polarizing filter do you use? There are quite a few options out there from B&W, Hoya, etc. I don't want to skimp and undermine the optics of these great primes but also don't want to spend unnecessarily.

thanks!

01-26-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bump.

I now have four lenses with 49mm filter threads, so it's probably time to buy some filters. Any advice?

Is there any chance the new DA 15mm Ltd will have a 49mm thread?
01-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Gosh, a collection of really nice Pentax lenses would be nice with a Pentax cpl. I use Pentax circular polarizers for 49, 58 and 67mm. You can find them on the used market from the pre-Hoya days. For 77mm and 82mm I stepped up to what is considered the finest circular polarizer made--Kaeseman circular polarizer which is edge sealed to resist humidity and has extremely high end foils for the polarizing. Both B+W and Heliopan offer Kaeseman polarizers and they are VERY expensive.

Since polarizers tend to create a slight greenish cast at times, many companies are now offering polarizers with slight warming effect. The Kaeseman's are available with warming. I have one with and one without and prefer the slightly warmed version. But I live at altitude and tend to shoot in bluish light outdoors most of the time (it's always either blue from lack of sun effects or blue from the big blue reflector that is the sky, or blue from altitude). I tend to use warming filters for most of my shooting--personal preference as well as to address actual color temp of the light--you may not like this effect.

Note that recently some new polarizing foils have been developed that reduce light loss compared to traditional polarizers. I have not tried the new "high light transmission" polarizers, but you'll find several brands touting this newer style.
01-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Gosh, a collection of really nice Pentax lenses would be nice with a Pentax cpl. I use Pentax circular polarizers for 49, 58 and 67mm. You can find them on the used market from the pre-Hoya days. For 77mm and 82mm I stepped up to what is considered the finest circular polarizer made--Kaeseman circular polarizer which is edge sealed to resist humidity and has extremely high end foils for the polarizing. Both B+W and Heliopan offer Kaeseman polarizers and they are VERY expensive.

Since polarizers tend to create a slight greenish cast at times, many companies are now offering polarizers with slight warming effect. The Kaeseman's are available with warming. I have one with and one without and prefer the slightly warmed version. But I live at altitude and tend to shoot in bluish light outdoors most of the time (it's always either blue from lack of sun effects or blue from the big blue reflector that is the sky, or blue from altitude). I tend to use warming filters for most of my shooting--personal preference as well as to address actual color temp of the light--you may not like this effect.

Note that recently some new polarizing foils have been developed that reduce light loss compared to traditional polarizers. I have not tried the new "high light transmission" polarizers, but you'll find several brands touting this newer style.
Ron: Just curious what makes a filter a Kaeseman? I know that it increases the price substantially?

Audiobomber: I was thinking the same thing. I am leaning towards the Hoya Super HMC. I have a uv filter from B+W that I like but the CPL's are a lot more expensive than Hoya.

Is it silly to try to support Hoya as they are the parent company of Pentax??

01-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Two stories both from B&H Photo/Video source books:;

From 1999 Professional Photo Source Book p. 327
Kaesemann Polarizers both linear and circular
"Crafted from selected polarizer foils and specially prepared optical glass. This neutral polarizer is edge sealed and is, therefore, durable under extreme conditions, such as humidity and heat. The use of this filter is recommended for the most stringent imaging requirements, especially with fast telephoto lenses and apochromatic lenses."

From the 2004 35mm SLR Photo Source Book p. 328
"The 'high-end' polarizing foils of the Kasemann-type filters are neutral in color, have a higher efficiency than conventional polarizing foils and they are cemented between high-grade plano-parallel optical glass. The resulting sandwich is then precision polished again to achieve highly accurate plano-parallel surfaces. Subsequently, they are edge-sealed to protect the foil against humidity....Discriminating photographers regard the B+W Kasemann-Type to be the best of all polarizing filters. They are well suited for applications that require the highest possible imaging quality, especially with high-speed telephoto lenses and apochromatic lenses...

I could have sworn I had an even more in-depth discussion somewhere, but I can't find it just now...hope the marketing mumbo jumbo helps!
01-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
MSM
Veteran Member

Thanks Ron. I have always wondered. As for the prices, I am not sure that I am discriminating enough.
01-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Kaesermann's are great. As mentioned though, very expensive.

I had the Hoya Pro filters, and while they have great output they're a real pain to clean.

I've settled to Marumi DHG filters. Awesome performance for the price. They also have the Waterproof filters which perform very well, water just beads off them.

You can get them from WestCoastCameras, they have an ebay shop. Excellent service.

The DHG CPL cost me $35 shipped I believe.
01-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I recently bought a magazine on black and white photography that reviewed the Hoya and B+W CPL filters... they suggested the B+W if you have the money to dish out - mainly cause it's coating system and foil is really good at transmitting light... in the tests they did, the Hoya was seen to not be so good at reducing reflections in water compared to the B+W... but it was still good...

01-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just thought I'd share, the hoyas are very easy to clean with a lenspen =)
01-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #10

Hoya have a few series, like a Pro1D and S-HMC, HMC, and simple CPL filters. What was compared in this magazine?

So, anyone can me explain what is difference between S-HMC and Pro1D Hoya CPL?
01-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nixite Quote
Hoya have a few series, like a Pro1D and S-HMC, HMC, and simple CPL filters. What was compared in this magazine?

So, anyone can me explain what is difference between S-HMC and Pro1D Hoya CPL?
I think it might've been the simple one.... if not, the HMC.... i'll have to check when i get home...
01-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
Forum Member

I just ordered a B+W Kaesemann MRC Slim polarizer, wasn't as expensive as I had though (75 euros). Luckily I don't have any lenses with 77 mm thread, that'll cost a fortune. Hopefully 15/4 ltd shares the 49 mm thread - can't see why not, as all other Da limiteds have it.
01-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I checked the magazine, i think it was the simple cpl... the one with a single coat on each side of the lens..
01-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter

The 15/4 will almost certainly be larger than 49mm--based on past 15's from several companies. In fact, many or maybe all 15's don't have front threads at all due to the bulbuous front element. Those "threadless" lenses use rear gel filters and/or have built-in filters that are selectable with a ring or lever--no kidding! Gel filters and built-ins are pretty old-school. It will be interesting to see if the new lens offers a more modern approach? But 49mm filter, I'd bet pretty high that it will not be anywhere near that small--sorry.
01-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Just thought I'd share, the hoyas are very easy to clean with a lenspen =)
When out on the field by the sea/ocean, rivers and all, the Hoyas would mark permanently if not wiped immediately. I agree the lenspen works, but compared to the other filters, they're harder to clean

Hoyas perform well though.