Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 03:51 AM   #1

Pentax and Sigma HSM.

Hi folks,

Following on from my question in another thread about whether the Sigma 10-20mm sported HSM or not I looked at Sigma's product line up and was surprised to see that the majority of HSM lenses were not HSM for Pentax.
I asked Sigma why that should be and , to their credit, I received a reponse extremely quickly to the effect that only recent Pentax cameras could support HSM and so new releases will take that into account. Had anyone else heard this before? It was certainly news to me!

Cheers!

01-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 10-20 does not have HSM, some of their recent releases do..
01-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma's 70-200 f/2.8 and its HSM for Pentax ,and when you upgrade the firmware to 1.3 its supported

cheers
01-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
Funny, the 10-20 on the Sigma website and in all the adverts I've seen lists it as HSM for every mount except Pentax and Sony.

01-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Up until the K10D, NO Pentax bodies (film or digital) supported SDM, they all used a screwdrive mechanism with a motor in the body. So naturally all Sigma lenses up until very recently are screwdriven.
01-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many stores seem to list Sigma lenses as having HSM when they don't for Pentax mount. There are several stores in Finland that list the 30/1.4 as having HSM and it almost made me believe it had HSM until I looked further into it. Some of these lenses would be much more interesting if they had HSM.
01-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
I asked Sigma why that should be and , to their credit, I received a reponse extremely quickly to the effect that only recent Pentax cameras could support HSM and so new releases will take that into account. Had anyone else heard this before? It was certainly news to me!
That has been known all along. Sigma never hid that fact.

Ben
01-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
I'm not suggesting there was any form of nefarious activity involved, I have owned my K10D for about a year and have not been in a position to buy an expensive lens before, so I started looking and luckily found this out before I put my hand in my pocket - it may have been common knowledge to people who have owned Pentaxs for years, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.

01-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
..., so I started looking and luckily found this out before I put my hand in my pocket - it may have been common knowledge to people who have owned Pentaxs for years, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere.
The question, you need to ask yourself is: how important is SDM for you and your photography? It is neither faster nor more reliable, than the conventional "screwdriver" AF. But it is silent and you can make easy manual focus-corrections. If that is very important, than SDM wins hands-down. If not, buying a non-SDM lens is a good choice and you shouldn't hesitate.

Ben