Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #16
Forum Member

I want this glass sooo bad!

Argh, I wish I had the money!

01-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just noticed that Digital Photographer (issue 78) gave this lens 7/10, but I don't alway get their criteria anyway. But thanks, all, I just wanted to know if there is something wrong with this lens - seems that it isn't. My first lens in Canon 400D was Sigma 17-70, and after that 18-50 which felt like a huge step up, but I guess camera body had also something to do with it.

There is an occasional need for a zoom, but it's quite rare and I guess I'll try to manage with primes for now. Perhaps more I need something to the wide end (DA21 being the widest) - just wish they would release 15/4 Ltd soon...
01-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
1)
2) Most likely better performance on higher resolution sensors (14 Mp and more);

Radu
I curious how you came to this conclusion? What makes you think the Pentax is *that* much better then then Sigma?

John
01-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
I curious how you came to this conclusion? What makes you think the Pentax is *that* much better then then Sigma?

John
John,

I base my opinion on Nikon users experience with this lens on 10Mp (D80, D200) and latter 12 Mp sensors (D300, D90). You may search for this in dpreview's Nikon area.
If photozone will retest it in Canon mount on 50D you will see for yourself I think how it performs on even higher density sensors.

Radu

01-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
John,

I base my opinion on Nikon users experience with this lens on 10Mp (D80, D200) and latter 12 Mp sensors (D300, D90). You may search for this in dpreview's Nikon area.
If photozone will retest it in Canon mount on 50D you will see for yourself I think how it performs on even higher density sensors.

Radu
But for a fair comparison you'd need to retest the Pentax version on such a high density sensor. Even if the Sigma looses IQ it doesn't mean the Pentax version wouldn't. I think it is unfair to list that IQ at higher density sensors as a "Pro" when there really isn't any evidence of that (especially when comparing cross platform).

I've used the Sigma on a istDS, K10 and K20 and I have seen NO drop off in IQ because of the higher density sensors (like I have in some other very cheap glass I had lying around). It could very well be that my standards aren't as high but even pixel peeping I don't find any evidence of it.

Personally I think the IQ is a wash between the two (just from examples I've seen, no 1st hand exp with the Pentax version). So the choice between the two really comes down to personal preference.. are the other things (like SDM) worth the ~$150 price difference. If I didn't have the Sigma already I would have a tough time choosing (the SDM focusing is SO nice that it might make the difference for me).

John
01-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #21
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
But for a fair comparison you'd need to retest the Pentax version on such a high density sensor. Even if the Sigma looses IQ it doesn't mean the Pentax version wouldn't. I think it is unfair to list that IQ at higher density sensors as a "Pro" when there really isn't any evidence of that (especially when comparing cross platform).

I've used the Sigma on a istDS, K10 and K20 and I have seen NO drop off in IQ because of the higher density sensors (like I have in some other very cheap glass I had lying around). It could very well be that my standards aren't as high but even pixel peeping I don't find any evidence of it.

Personally I think the IQ is a wash between the two (just from examples I've seen, no 1st hand exp with the Pentax version). So the choice between the two really comes down to personal preference.. are the other things (like SDM) worth the ~$150 price difference. If I didn't have the Sigma already I would have a tough time choosing (the SDM focusing is SO nice that it might make the difference for me).

John
I agree with you!

Radu