Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 100-300mm f4 anomaly?

Check this out:
Amazon.com: Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM APO Fast Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Electronics

I got this lens about 4 months ago from amazon and it was something like $1065, and it is non-HSM. Sigma US's website has it listed as non-HSM for Pentax, but Amazon lists it as HSM for Pentax. So, is this just a improperly listed item, or have I missed something?

Anyway, HSM or not, at its currently listed price of $758 it is quite a steal. The other sellers on Amazon's page have it listed at around $1100 still. If you're looking for one this would be the time to order it. Hopefully for anyone looking for one it will stay at this price, and this crazy low price is not just another screw up on Amazon's part.

01-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd guess it's a typo. Great lens at a great price. Wonder why so low?
01-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't know, but I have half a mind to order one and hope they don't notice a slip up if there is one. And if they did I'm sure I could always get a refund.

I've seen some other items for hundreds below the usual selling price on Amazon, but it's usually from third-party sellers, not Amazon itself. And usually the lower prices are gone within a few hours. I guess we'll just have to see how this turns out.
01-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Damn, I bought one off amazon yesterday for 789. If only I had waited, I could've saved 30 bucks! It's already cheaper than the HSM 70-200 2.8, I wonder how much lower it can go?

01-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting. Has it shipped yet?
At the price it's almost impossible to pass up, even though I already have one. I'm at the checkout page just hovering over the "place your order button". I just don't get how the price could have dropped $400 on the lens in 4 months, and just at Amazon. It may sound bad, but if it is a screw up on their part I would definitely love to buy one and take advantage of the mess up.

Edit: I just placed an order hopefully everything goes through properly, and by that I mean ridiculously cheaply.

Last edited by Votesh; 01-26-2009 at 07:14 PM.
01-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Apparently the same thing was going on for the canon mount version a week or so back.
Sigma 100-300mm f/4 $737 on Amazon US... more: Canon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hasn't shipped yet, but I ordered some other stuff with it as well, which is why its probably taking so long. Plus, it's only been like 24 hours, so it's not like I expect it to be here tomorrow.

All the mounts have had the same price reduction. Canon and Nikon went back up quickly within a day or two as I'm sure people bought them in droves. Sony took a while, and Pentax has been low for over a week.

Hopefully they will start discounting other lenses as well. I noticed they have some other lenses, like the DA*300 f/4 pretty cheap relative to the other camera brands. I will post if I see any other great deals.
01-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting. I have noticed that Amazon is pretty cheap in general, but I'd never seen anything so very cheap as compared to other retailers. I wonder what the reason for the reduction in price across the board is? There was a 10% instant rebate on all Sigma lenses up until January 15th, but that can't be it.

Anyway, I got next day shipping so it'll be here Wednesday.

01-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Looks like it didn't last, I should have pulled the trigger yesterday!

Amazon.com: Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM APO Fast Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Electronics
01-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I'll sell you my brand new not yet shipped one for $1000 :P

In the meantime, I noticed that this lens, Amazon.com: Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG IF HSM APO Telephoto Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

was under $2,500 two days ago. Looks like it wasn't just the 100-300.
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Strange. I wish I knew what the reason was for the temporary price drop.
01-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Strange. I wish I knew what the reason was for the temporary price drop.
My bet is they do it to start threads like this one, and once we're all drooling over the lens, they bump the price back up and pick up a few sales at the normal price.
01-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Amazon and most other companies use computer algorithms to determine what the optimal price of a good should be. The algorithm runs a regression to determine what the price elasticity of demand is, and uses this to compute the revenue maximizing price. In this case, likely the algorithm needed more sample data to finish running the regression, so it dropped the price to see what demand would be like at a lower price. Now that it has the data, it will markup the good to 'street value' and then tempt you into buying it.

Amazon 'spies' on you when you shop. It leaves cookies on your HD that keep track of how many times you looked at an item. If the item is considered to be highly price elastic, meaning that demand for it is very sensitive to its price, the site will slowly start lowering prices to 'tease' you into buying it. Generally the item is listed at above the revenue maximizing price, so Amazon is not really loosing any money by lowering the price. Thus when you see the price fall, you become compelled to purchase the good, and generally at a higher price than Amazon intended to sell it to you anyway. Because of the fact that everyone is looking at a different web page, Amazon can get away with price discrimination against you. But because you would pay the street price at another store, you really don't lose much to begin with. And, if you are lucky, you can abuse the system a bit too.

I'm guessing that the actual price Amazon paid for this lens was probably still 20-30% lower than what it dropped down to ($750 or so), unless they had some issues with the lenses or the manufacturing. I would hypothesize that the street price of this lens is over valued relative towards the competing lenses, otherwise Amazon would probably have been able to sell them without such a deep discount.
01-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay. That makes sense. Since you seemed to have been watching it, did you notice whether it was an instantaneous price drop to the sub-$800 range, or did it take some time to reach that price?
01-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Inactive Account

It was dropping something like 10-30 dollars at a time, usually every second or third day. Granted I was not very religious with keeping tabs on the lens, but it was enough of a trickle so that you wouldn't really notice it. Price changes seemed to happen at 12am PST, so about 4 am here in the east coast. I saw it above 800 last week, and down to just under 800 this week. I forgot how fast it was dropping before that.