Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I use a Sigma 18-200 DC (optimised for digital) with my K10D and find it to be a very good all-round lens. If you only want to carry one lens that won't break the bank or your back, this is as good as any.

The range (wide angle to moderate telephoto) covers just about all situations and although it would be nice if it were faster at at the zoom end, you can't have everything.

The picture quality is surprisingly good and any distortion at the extremes is not really noticeable, especially for scenic shots. Pictures with distinct parallels taken at the wide-angle range may need fixing during post processing but this common for most lenses.

At 405g (approx 14oz) it is lighter than any combination of primes. I have carried it on my K10D for hours at a time without any problems. It is also well constructed and operates smoothly.

As with all zooms it is a compromise but still produces good quality photos - or at least it does its best with whatever the photographer gives it to work with...

One other advantage of any 'one-size-fits-all' zoom, especially while traveling, is that there is no need to remove the lens - this reduces the chance of dust and moisture getting on to the mirror or sensor.

Hope this helps...

03-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
Tamron used to make a 24-135mm (don't know if they still do) that was pretty highly regarded.
Sigma makes a somewhat fast 24-135 f2.8 that you can pickup on ebay for about 180$. I bought one, and I am waiting for it to arive.
03-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

That lens (that Cameta offers on eBay) is NOT f/2.8 throughout. I believe it is f/4.5 at the long end. I'm sure if it was a constant f/2.8, it would be VERY expensive.

QuoteOriginally posted by kafreddy Quote
Sigma makes a somewhat fast 24-135 f2.8 that you can pickup on ebay for about 180$. I bought one, and I am waiting for it to arive.
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Considered some used older pentax zooms?

I think your original post was very well thought out. If you are going on field trips etc. you are quite right to want just one lens. Its not like a holiday when you can take shots whenever you like.

If you also are worried about damaging your lens hiking then you need something cheapish. So why not get something second hand.

You could try the following;

FA 28-105mm (several variants, the latest one is faster and lightweight), one for sale on the forum I believe; only 255g.

FA 28-200mm Probably not as good quality but if you need to go to 200mm, then it isn't that bad 465g Just seen some lovely shots from this on the pentax photo gallery.

If you want to go wider there is FA24-90mm

If you really want to go wider then I'd probably second people's recomendations of 17-70mm Sigma.

If you are thinking of saving for a nice expensive 'wide' prime, and manage to get a good deal on a secondhand zoom for thrashing on your travels above I'd definately recommend the 21mm limited. It is such a discreet lens and very well built. Bit wide for portraits though (more street), 40mm would probably be better for that use.

I hope this helps. I have mainly old primes, but when I get a job (finishing my studies) I think I might play around with some zooms. Even cheap ones can help you learn what focal lengths you enjoy so you don't make mistakes when you start on more expensive purchases. I knew, for example I would like 21mm as I loved 28mm on film and it is a fairly similar focal length equivalent (not quite as wide but not a major adjustment). I'm much less familiar with other focal lengths and I do keep hearing such good things about the 50-200mm...

Of course, I haven't actually used any of these zooms, only a 100-300mm F. However, I sympathise with your situation.