Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #1

Adaptor for OM glass to Pentax body

Hi, I just read in the Marketplace that there is an adaptor so I can run manually my old (and very fine) OM glass on my K200. Can anyone direct me to where I can make that purchase? Don't get me wrong I love Pentax glass, but this is for my daughter who gets my glass as I up grade. Also, as an aside, I read the absolutely great advise you folks give on a daily basis. I appreciate you giving your time to help make all of us better. Thank-you

01-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My understanding is that you have to do a mount conversion:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34323-zuiko-lens-club.html
01-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mount-to-film distance for the OM mount and K-mount are too close to make an adaptor that fits on the back of the lens and still allows focus to infinity, so you can't use a direct adaptor unless you want all of your OM glass to magically turn into macro lenses. A mount conversion like troyz suggested is really the only possibiliy. You should be able to get some old beaten-up k-mount lenses with intact lensmounts pretty cheaply if this is something you'd like to try.
01-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
The mount-to-film distance for the OM mount and K-mount are too close to make an adaptor that fits on the back of the lens and still allows focus to infinity, so you can't use a direct adaptor unless you want all of your OM glass to magically turn into macro lenses. A mount conversion like troyz suggested is really the only possibiliy. You should be able to get some old beaten-up k-mount lenses with intact lensmounts pretty cheaply if this is something you'd like to try.
Rather than try to find an old lens to scavenge you might use an inexpensive flange-type m42 to Pentax K adapter from ebay & other sources. I think the black ones are anodized aluminum which will be less desirable than a chrome plated brass one.

I get mine from eBay Store - OEC Camera Accessories: Neutral Density, Filters, Infrared IR
for about $12.50 delivered.

I've done an OM->K conversion & it was pretty easy. I used a 50mm x 1mm "O" ring as a shim to get the right lens length to insure focus at infinity. (The lens must be effectively shortened by 1/2 mm to get infinity focus; OM flange distance is 46mm, Pentax is 45.5mm)

Last edited by newarts; 01-28-2009 at 08:51 AM.