Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Just pulled the trigger on 35mm macro... eek

Having had cravings for close up photography ever since I sold off my sigma 105mm macro, I had always wanted a 35mm macro. When I had my k100d, the 40mm pancake that I had made a great package, small and compact, but now I have a k10d and the battery grip, the 40mm hasn't been getting much use.

Soooo, in a moment of weakness, before the pentax lens prices go sky high because of exchange rate differences and before the rebate finishes, have just ordered the macro with a sigma 530 flashgun and a remote.

Should be coming tomorrow, can't wait to test it, if all goes to plan and I made the right choice, the 40mm might be for sale soon...

01-28-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
My toys arrived first thing, the benefits of living next to the post office depot!

First impressions of the 35mm lens: the build quality is sumptuous, much better balanced on the k10. Spot on focusing, no adjustment needed. Autofocus is not noticably slower in ok light compared to 40mm. This is probably because for the same range from infinity to 0.4m on the 40mm, the macro has to rotate 1/3 of the distance.

And the images are sharp and have a certain something to them:

01-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The DA35 is a fantastic lens....you will grow to love it.
01-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The DA35 is my fav lens. Hope you enjoy your copy.

01-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Haha I spent a good 4-5 hours yesterday lying on the floor taking macros and playing around with wireless flash, my shoulders and knees are aching! I'll post more photos soon.

Sadly the weather here in Southampton UK is pretty rubbish at the moment, but will be going to the New Forest this weekend so I'll see how it performs.

Having used it a while, I'm still amazed at how close the lens gets to the subject, some optical magic going on in the lens body... Because its so close, I think I might need to get/DIY a ring flash of some description.

Can anyone share their experiences of owning the 40mm ltd, and then getting the DA35? I can't really afford to keep both, I am trying to work out whether I would miss the lens if I sold it.
01-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Acliffalay Quote
My toys arrived first thing, the benefits of living next to the post office depot!

First impressions of the 35mm lens: the build quality is sumptuous, much better balanced on the k10. Spot on focusing, no adjustment needed. Autofocus is not noticably slower in ok light compared to 40mm. This is probably because for the same range from infinity to 0.4m on the 40mm, the macro has to rotate 1/3 of the distance.

And the images are sharp and have a certain something to them:

I give that Lens a Heads Up

Cheers

Neil