Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
third time's a charm perhaps

I've briefly had a 31ltd twice previously, and each time let it go as it just didn't wow me. The first one actually was a seemingly very rare "bad" copy that I just couldn't crisp. The second was much better but I just wasn't feeling it and felt that there was too much overlap with my 35ltd. But after having a brief crisis of faith with Pentax and flirting with Sony FF, I came back to the reason for being here - the damn limited lenses. So with all the money I saved by not buying an a900 (heh - how many times have you used that rationalization?), I decided to pick up another 31. After a brief foray to the coffee shop, I think I finally get it. I'm seeing the FOV now, and the richness reminds me of my 43 and 77. In fact I think the 43 might be in danger, but I'm planning on putting that on a K2000 body as a street cam and seeing how that goes.

When is that 15ltd coming out?

01-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
i like this one.

congrats on "new" lens! i want one too...
01-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've definitely come back to the 31.
I got it right after the 77, but I guess I didn't know how to make the most of it. But after some time (and the tight spaces of winter) it's going on my camera more and more. Had a little trouble too before I figured out its focus adjustment on my K20.

It's great in close, and I think it has the "wildest" bokeh of the 3 FA limiteds.

Oh, and welcome back!
01-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Part of the purchase was based on the belief that prices are going to rise, and that perhaps at some point these lenses either won't be made or will be harder to find. The third time is indeed the charm as I'm now "getting" this lens. Great on the street, ridiculously sharp in good light, and enables shots you couldn't otherwise get. The top is a crop from a quick snap, the bottom one is in very faint streetlight at night, f1.8, 1/8 second (horray for SR), no exposure bias or post processing. I may be slow, but I get it eventually...this one's a keeper.