Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Halos around lights.

Hi!

I have a question: I shot this with a 50mm Super Takumar wide open at f/1.4. I noticed the halos around some of the lights once I saw the picture in the computer. Are the halos "normal" because of the wide aperture? Or is it a flaw with the lens?. Since I was "training" myself into night shooting I did not take any pictures with the lens stopped down.

Name:  IMGP6029crop.jpg
Views: 19390
Size:  24.4 KB

01-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

IMHO these are likely caused by aberrations of the lens at it's widest apertures. Notice how the halos appear on the edges AWAY from the centre of the image. It's these kinds of aberrations which make the lens "soft" wide open. You normally wouldn't see them directly but the lights are so overexposed that the light rays which didn't land where they were supposed to show up quite distinctly against the dark background.
01-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using any kind of filter on your lens? (UV skylight or other?)

If you are, try next time without the filter. This halos look a lot like filter ghosting.
01-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi!

No filter at all, just the lens. I still have not had a chance to go again to the same place and shoot a few using a closer aperture.